Picky Eaters

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been noticing that the chinchillas are becoming picky eaters. The "Charlie Chinchilla Food" ate everything but the pellets. I'm not sure why but it could be cause of the size...
730582205035C.jpg

We also bought the deluxe chinchilla food which they seem like.
OxbowChinchilla.png

We also bought some Timothy Hay cubes, they did not like it unless we break it in tiny pieces. Do any of you had this kind of problem with your chinchillas?

Charlie chinchilla food is terrible. Don't feed it to your chin anymore. They were eating everything but pellets because everything else is a treat. Give only the Oxbow food. Try loose hay as well, mine prefer it over the cubes.

Definitely throw out the Charlie Chinchilla food. Even the pellets in it are crap. Oxbow is a really good food. Stick with it and your chin should be fine.

We also bought some Timothy Hay cubes, they did not like it unless we break it in tiny pieces. Do any of you had this kind of problem with your chinchillas?

Sometimes they don't show immediate interest but if you give it to them and leave it in their cage you might find that they do enjoy snacking on it throughout the day. At first I thought Watson didn't like the hay cubes because he would always drop them and run away when I gave them. But then as I would tidy up his cage a couple days down the line, the hay cube would be hidden somewhere, decimated with crumbs everywhere!

I agree with everyone else, Charlie Chinchilla is really crappy food so just stick with the Oxbow pellets. I would also recommend getting some loose hay, I buy Oxbow's Oat Hay and Orchard Grass and switch it up so Watson doesn't get bored.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all very much for the information. Now i understand why they only eat everything but the pellets for the charlie food. and the timothy hay cubes i'll try leaving em out for them again :)

Back