Petsmart Hate Thread

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

PetsmartCage_01_zps375e9250.jpg

WaterBottle_01_zps508266d4.jpg

Food_01_zpsf80b9d5d.jpg

Stick_01_zps16e305b0.jpg

Just posting pictures here isn't going to do much and this is just beating a dead horse. Complaining here isn't going to do squat. Take initiative and call their care line (employees have no say over how the animals are cared for; it's all outlined by a corporate standard and it must be abided by otherwise the employees/store gets in trouble). I think we all know by now that Petsmart carries items that aren't safe for chins, and these items are made by other companies. Petsmart is the middle man. It's a buyer beware world. It's up to you as an owner to research what is good and what's bad for your animals.

And fyi, I recommend being very careful about posting these pictures. It's illegal to take pictures and post them without permission in just about any store. You can get sued for defamation.

I completely agree with Stackie. Posting pictures isn't going to do anything. Instead of walking around taking pictures (which probably scared the chins), take the time to call and educate. The employees are following corporate protocol. We all know they sell things that are not safe for chins. You will be hard-pressed to find me bashing PetSmart. My first chin came from them and she is the best thing that ever happened to me. Would I buy from them again, no. However, I do like to think that I rescued her from a busy store.

Why are you posting pictures of their food cup? Is it because there is poop in it? If so, then I am a bad parent. I'm always removing poop from my girls food cups. Chins will poop where they want, when they want.

Please do not take pictures of them in the store with your flash on. They are already stressed and your flash in their eyes is not helping. Nor is you pressing your camera phone against the glass multiple times to take pictures from different angels.

im well aware this here wont do anything. If there cooperate gave a **** at all it wouldn't be like that to start with. Just a vent area. Go ahead and delete thread if you want.

Why are you posting pictures of their food cup? Is it because there is poop in it? If so, then I am a bad parent. I'm always removing poop from my girls food cups. Chins will poop where they want, when they want.

Im aware. I was just making it a point to show everything in there cage. Not just the items i disagreed with.

Please do not take pictures of them in the store with your flash on. They are already stressed and your flash in their eyes is not helping. Nor is you pressing your camera phone against the glass multiple times to take pictures from different angels.

There wasnt a flash, nor was i right up against the glass. This item has a pretty decent zoom feature and auto focus. There was a bit of glare tho because they were kept fairly near the entrance, so all that light was spilling in.

I can tell you for a fact that corporate changed the recommended food from Petsmart's OWN brand of feed to Oxbow because enough people called and complained. It's even in one of your pictures, it says they recommend Oxbow on the stickers on the front of the chinchilla habitat.

I can tell you for a fact that corporate changed the recommended food from Petsmart's OWN brand of feed to Oxbow because enough people called and complained. It's even in one of your pictures, it says they recommend Oxbow on the stickers on the front of the chinchilla habitat.

Glad to hear that.

(personally)
Ive already done my complaining/educating to them before. They've either told me how its all perfectly safe or just ignored my messages.

I am actually shocked they are recommending Oxbow food! That's a great improvement. I haven't been to Petsmart in a long time since the closest one to me is about 35 minutes away. I know that it is disappointing to see chins in these environments since we spoil our babies so much. At least the chins have a good food, water and get some hay. Plus, like Stackie said, the care and stuff is outlined by corporate and employees can't do much on their own.

I don't think much will be done anyway since the chin does have the basic necessities and that is really all they require at petstores. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to call Petsmart and voice your concerns again (It did get them to switch to Oxbow food). I know it can be upsetting, but I don't think there is much you can do. It is all about making money unfortunately and that will never change!

Last edited:
Plus, like Stackie said, the care and stuff is outlined by corporate and employees can't do much on their own.

That's why i would probably get fired if i worked at one of those stores. Its brutally hard for me to not go crazy seeing that any time i walk in. If i was working there i could guarantee i would ignore anything they said and go change the cage anyway.

Does anybody no a safe treat to give chinchillas?? I've been giving Carl similar treats to the one you've shown and he loves them but If they're bad, I want a healthy alternative that he'll enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

main treat i use are twigs. All my chins love them, depending on the flavor. They usually go for apple the best. Quite a few vendors here sell them.

I second the sticks... There are many different kinds so each stick acts as a new treat. My chins have enough apple in their cage that I'm sure they don't consider it a treat anymore, but they love it.

Actual treat wise, I usually use crushed rosehips, calendula petals, or cheerios.

Do you no where to get rose hips? And I've heard people give chins wheaties when they're sick but can you give a small portion as a treat or is that only to help when they stop eating from being sick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always buy my treats from Rondaschins.com

Plain shredded wheat is fine as a treat. :]

Back