Pet insurance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

Do any of you have pet insurance that's not just for cats and dogs, and is reasonable? I'd appreciate all suggestions. I figure that as soon as I get a job, I'll get it for all of my guys.

I too am very interested in this. I've seen pet insurance advertised before but I'm not sure if it's a ripoff or not. Chins seem like an animal that would make sense to insure, since their procedures are so expensive.

If you have an emergency clinic near you that services small animals, I would check there. Most vets should also be able to get information for you.

While the monthly payments can be pricey, if you have a lot of animals and frequent vet bills, it would be worth looking into. When Bear had to have all of his surgeries and Soxie got sick, we wish we had had health insurance for them! We ended up using Care Credit, which was nice. Basically, it's a credit card you put vet expenses on, and you get six months interest free to pay it off. The downside: If you don't get it paid off in 6 months, the interest is STAGGERING!!

Good luck!

I had to get Care Credit for Altair's amputation because I ran out of the house without my credit card. I didn't know I had 6 months to pay it off without interest. I'll try to pay that off fast then! Hopefully I'll be able to do that with help from everyone here buying my toys, feed, and such!

My exotic vet is 90 minutes away. The local vets really only take care of cats and dogs. If I have to go see my vet for Momiji's drinking problem, I'll ask then. I posted this wondering if anyone had some and liked it.

Working at a vet office and having a friend that works for a pet insurance company, I can tell you it's not worth it. First, they only insure a set amount every year, if you exceed that amount it's a tough luck situation. The amount is also very specific for what it can go to and they will only pay a percentage of the vet bill. You also are still required to pay all costs up front at the veterinary office and then submit a claim form to the insurance company to get reimbursement. When your claim gets to the insurance company, veterinary technicians will look over the forms and decide what of the procedures they would deem necessary and the company will reimburse the percentage on those items only. Pet insurance does not help with the bills in any way. We've had many angry customers unaware of the pet insurance process that did not get reimbursed for what they thought they would. They also will not cover procedures for something they consider a breed/species to be prone to. They won't cover ear medication for a cocker spaniel since they are very prone to ear infections.

My choices would be for Care Credit as long as you have plenty of chinchilla competent hospitals nearby that take it. Care Credit is fairly costly for a vet to carry if they do not have a lot of clients that accept Care Credit, so there are quite a few still out there that do not take Care Credit. The other choice that I very much like would be Pet Assure. http://www.petassure.com/ It's another alternative to pet insurance but unlike pet insurance you just receive a discount every time you go to a vet office that works along side pet assure. It's a great thing that many of our clients have and it is low cost for the veterinarian to accept it so many vet offices accept Pet Assure.

For anything you get, make sure your specific vet offices and any backup vet offices you have will accept it.

Having so many chins, pet insurance is not an option. Care Credit has been extremely helpful when expensive procedures need to be done. I used Care Credit for Mousey's tail amputation and like mentioned, as long as it's paid off in 6 months, there is no interest.

I checked into getting Chinnie Insurance, but after looking over the limited amounts of items it covered, I decided it wasn't worth the expense. We just have our credit card for if something pops up unexpectedly, which is really the only reason we'd need to go to the vet as I do pretty much all basic checks at home. Our credit card is pretty exclusive to traveling and emergencies, so we're pretty safe using it.

I too looked it up for the chinnies, but like was mentioned it didn't really cover that much to be worth it. I do have some for my 2 cats, and that has actually helped out a bit, paying for Sasha's spay and their heartworm medications and Sherlock has dental issues so he gets pricey dentalwork every year and it helps with that. It in no way really pays for everything, but I think it is worth it for them, especially if something happens and I like how it covers preventative care like vaccines and heartworm meds. Since chinnies don't really get all that it isn't worth it.

Back