Persistent eye infections

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmonin

Hi everyone, I’m new to the community and was wondering if anyone could help me out. My Single chin Roo is 7years old. Up until this year she has had 0 health problems. I have had her in the vets office 4 times in the last 6 months for persistent eye infections. I have followed through with every antibiotic and also switched from paper bedding to fleece cage liners. It seems that no matter what I do her eye infections are coming back! Is there a possibility that she can be allergic to her food/ dust/ hay? I worry about her being comfortable in her “old” age and it’s becoming expensive to keep taking her to the vet. I’m currently applying teramiacin (oil antibiotics) to her eye. It’s worked in the past but doesn’t seem to be helping this time. I can’t seem to get her to stop scratching her eye.

She may also need an oral antibiotic - and perhaps a longer dose of the eye drops or ointment. If she has a corneal tear or abrasion, those can be difficult to heal and can take a lot of patience and time. ZZ had a corneal tear after a URI and conjunctivitis years ago and we had to put drops in his eyes for nearly 8 months before it completely healed up.

Back