People are just stupid

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
Moderatr
I was browsing through CL tonight, trying to see if someone had revised an ad with a chinchilla for sale that I contacted, and I ran across this:

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/pet/3251682980.html

For God's sake - GOOGLE IT people. Are they really that dumb that they don't know that this thing is going to grow into a monster that can EAT them? Or are they just too incredibly stupid to care? Or, did they finally do some research and realize that they might lose their dog or their kid to this beast when it is fully grown? And how long until someone ends up flushing it down a toilet or throwing it into a pond because they can't handle it?

I am just sickened by this. I'm trying to figure out if there is someone I can contact about this. I thought you weren't allowed to even own these things?

You shouldn't be allowed to own an alligator...a pet that you obviously can't keep once it gets passed that cute little baby stage...I don't know how quickly they grow, but I'm assuming it is pretty quick and then you have a monster on your hands. What do you do with him once he is too large to keep in a tub? Dump him somewhere? It's dangerous, it's unfair to the alligator...and it should be illegal.

Can you point that ad to animal control?

After looking at some of those pics, I thought someone was making alligator stew :wacko:... what the heck is in it's tank?

Ick. We actually had one escape from an owner in a small town about 30 minutes from here yesterday. The elementary school cancelled recesses and the high school cancelled football practice. I don't think they're legal to have as pets here.

It's surprising how many people we have that come into the clinic and mention they have an alligator. It is only illegal to own one over a certain length (in the state of IN). Stupid..why not just make it illegal all around to own them since they OBVIOUSLY are going to reach that size limit eventually...sigh.

Perfectly legal to own in PA, too. I don't even think you need a permit. I've seen several on craigslist the past few weeks.. I was just complaining to my husband about it as we still can't own hedgies/gliders... But I can attend the local reptile show this weekend and walk out with a Pit Viper or Alligator no questions asked... Just show i'm over 18.

As per boat and fish commision PA's law is:

"
Is it legal to buy/sell/own an alligator, cayman or crocodile in PA?

The PA Fish and Boat Commission’s regulations do not regulate possession of non-native species of reptiles and amphibians. So long as these animals are not released into the wild, there are no state regulations regarding their ownership. Likewise, there is no state permit required to possess these animals. However, there may be local municipal ordinances, which regulate the ownership of “dangerous animals” and you should check with your local government before purchasing such an animal."

Last edited:
I've contacted three separate agencies, have had no response, and the ad is still up. Morons.

Back