peeing on fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

Hello everyone, I recently upgraded to FN cages. I have 2 separate double units. I use aspen bedding. Since switching to the FN all but one of them are peeing on the fleece instead of the bedding. It is causing them to get fur stained bottoms and they're butts are wet when they pee on fleece. I've read a lot of people prefer using fleece instead of bedding. I don't understand. Am I missing something? Can someone explain the alure of fleece for some owners? Is it a special fleece? Or does anyone have suggestions on preventing my girls from peeing on the fleece?

I prefer bedding on the bottom and wooden shelves personally but as for the peeing, watch where they are going and peeing. I found ours have a certain corner that they will run to in order to pee so I got a "litter box" for that corner and just put some more bedding in it. They occasionally pee on the floor in the bedding but most of their pee is done in the "litter box".

I don't know if this would help you but thought I'd mention it :)

Fleece needs to be absorbent, so you can't use any fabric softener or most detergents (most contain some fabric softener in them) on them. Instead of laundry detergent use vinegar to wash with, about 1 cup per load. Fabric softener leaves a film on the fabric preventing things from soaking in, so the pee will bead up I use basically 3 layers thick since my two don't want to be litter trained, pillow case style with a fleece "pee pad" (two pieces sewn up like a unstuffed pillow).

If you are doing all that already, one other possibility is that your girls just like sitting in their pee, gross I know but some chins do that. The main benefit with fleece really comes into play if your chins are litter trained. You can't just throw a litter box of shavings in and expect them to know what to do. If you look up litter training you should get some suggestions on how to do it. Keep in mind though that it does take time and some chins just don't get it or don't want to. Also some, even after knowing to pee in the box, will decide they don't want to anymore.

Even though mine aren't litter trained I don't find fleece that big of an issue, I like the designs, and the fact that cleaning the cage just means vacuuming and pulling the fleece out to wash it. If your chins aren't litter trained you do need to change the fleece more often though or it will stink. Fleece is also a one time cost, you just wash and replace, so no more buying litter, or less of it if you use a litter pan.

Thank you. I have a front loading washer. Do I put the vinegar in the detergent cup or pour some in the drum before closing the door?

Back