Patchy/Itchy Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambybamby

Hi everyone, I hope all is well. Does anyone have any experience or expertise on itchy chins resulting in patchy fur? My 3 year old boy has been scratching a lot lately, in a mood (nipping at hands, easily frustrated, and stand off-is) and has had a change in his fur on his right arm and right leg. He is a standard grey with a white tummy and now has a patchy grey right leg and a slightly bare upper right arm. I can't figure out why he keeps doing this. I've been monitoring the temperature, giving him less treats and making sure he gets regular baths and play time. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Is there anything around his eyes, nose, or mouth? Missing fur, redness, etc.? How often do you dust bathe? What type of bedding do you use? Any perfumey changes in the room or in his cage (new laundry detergent, smelly sprays, etc.)?

Nothing is oozing, dripping, or missing from his face or the rest of his body.. just the two limbs with patches :/ they don't appear to be red just patchy - maybe even a little dry in those areas. I usually let him take baths like 3-4 times a week. Should I reduce that?

Also, you got me thinking about changes in scents. I did recently buy a room refresher spray from the Mrs. Meyers line and I'm thinking that might have triggered him. It's a lemon scent. Other than those things all his stuff has been washed with the same detergent I always use (all free & clear) and his dust, food, bedding, and sticks have all been the same too.

Back