Palm leaf - is it safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie66

Decades ago, on another continent, I would give my Chinchillas Washingtonia palm leaves, cut from the tree. They loved chewing on it and eating the green leaves.
Today I stumbled upon people gardening, trimming their tree. I asked their permission and got two "fans". Living in the lower mainland, BC, this is the first time I run into the opportunity here, and not with these specific chins. The leaves are either Chinese windmill palm, European fan palm or Mexican fan palm (washingtonia) - see pic.
I stuck them in water for now... Is it safe to give them for my chinchillas to have fun with? Start with a small peace and check the poop for a day before proceeding?

Thanks...
O.

Attachments

• img_1615246204530.jpg
    img_1615246204530.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2
I know palm leaf sold as pet (bird and rodent) toys is safe, but I don't know what kind of palm that is from. I think most kinds of true palm tree leaves are safe (as far as I can tell windmill and fan palms are safe), but I know the sago palm (not a true palm) are very poisonous. You'll also need to make sure the palm is 100% organic, as in was not sprayed with chemicals, on or around it, and no chemical fertilizer used to grow it. If it is organic then you just need to dry it out before giving it to your chin, moist/fresh vegetation can cause diarrhea and gas.

Back