Pairing my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dad has income to cover bills, my mom and maybe my little brothers babysitter if I ask nicely, not evaluated by a proper rancher/breeder, yet this week we will look into that, all equipment and can pay for every thing and have a scale. I could almost say use to everything. No one answer if u don't have suggestion this is serious and not something to be taken lightly. Thank you all

Well, I'm going to say this.
If your female attacks multiple kits, that's multiple vet bills. I don't think mom or dad (Unless they seriously have money to burn, in that case throw some my way) would appreciate being drug into that kind of thing. My parents would NOT enjoy forking over $3-4,000 in vet bills because of something I knowingly did like breeding. I think you need to converse with them...And someone who babysits (That is a hardship all in it's own) would probably rather keep their money instead of shelling it out to someone who doesn't have a job. Trust me, I babysat and had a friend ask me (I was only getting paid $30 a week, haha, yeah, not doing that again) if they could borrow money to go to the club. My reply? HECK NAW. No no no, my money would not be carelessly spent that way.
As far as the personality comment goes...I wasn't aware that violets, sapphires, Royal Persian Angoras, or any of the higher priced mutes had 'special personalities'. That makes me think "Oh boy they must eat out of diamond encrusted bowls". Chins are chins with their own personalities, but that doesn't mean just because they're picky that they're of 'higher quality'.
Not trying to be rude, just being blunt.

Ok here is the deal. My parents made us do it I was against it and I thought we should find out if they really are female and female but it turned out they weren't. I know I will get a lot of attacks but it is the truth.

I know how to get them to like each other and everything is fine to breed. I don't understand how this is worse than breeding a dog. It can happen but if it happened so much then I think they would die in the wild and they would be extinct. I really don't understand any of this please do explain. I don't find this to be that fair seeing that you don't know me and my knowledge and I will get them both checked out before I breed to make sure everything is ok. I know someone who has bred and he said it is almost fun and easy. I trust this man and he would get on and swear to this story. He just found them, the babies. All there and fine. He doesn't think there is anything to it.

Are they not suppose to be here with us? Is that whats the deal? I will ask my vet about it and find out what she thinks if she says "Go ahead and do it" I will guys it doesn't make sense to attack someone who knows whats could happen and just wants info on care of babies and everything else. I will not get upset if something happens I mean I will but I will live. I had plenty of geckos not hatch and I found a baby fully developed inside the egg and it was dead. Sad thing but I got over it. Please don't tell me that I need to be this brave person because blood isn't what I think is the worst thing in the world. I don't like seeing a thing sick and I was just plain showing my affection for my chinchillas. It sorta annoying all the ranch stuff keep it to yourselves who breed that you like breeders. I know you do and it is part of the business to put down pet stores I don't get the problem. I am telling the truth. I don't believe in breeders because they price there chinchillas higher than they should. Pet stores that are private should be considered to be fine. I know what can happen I don't need a vote I just want help.

Last edited:
Then why did you come here and ask us if we thought you should put your chinchillas together? If I recall, it was totally up to us:

but if you guys don't think so then I won't. If you guys say yes then I will, not at same night of course and then I will put them together. This is really up to you guys :

I highly doubt your parents made you do it.......

Sounds like you're going to do whatever you want to do, so why waste your and our time? :deadhorse2:

Hopefully you realize what's right and best for you and your chinchillas and will not breed them.

And with that, I'm off.

Last edited:
Well, I had a change of mind. I won't explain it to you about my parents it just happened in a weird way.

Ok here is the deal. My parents made us do it I was against it and I thought we should find out if they really are female and female but it turned out they weren't. I know I will get a lot of attacks but it is the truth.

I know how to get them to like each other and everything is fine to breed. I don't understand how this is worse than breeding a dog. It can happen but if it happened so much then I think they would die in the wild and they would be extinct. I really don't understand any of this please do explain. I don't find this to be that fair seeing that you don't know me and my knowledge and I will get them both checked out before I breed to make sure everything is ok. I know someone who has bred and he said it is almost fun and easy. I trust this man and he would get on and swear to this story. He just found them, the babies. All there and fine. He doesn't think there is anything to it.

Are they not suppose to be here with us? Is that whats the deal? I will ask my vet about it and find out what she thinks if she says "Go ahead and do it" I will guys it doesn't make sense to attack someone who knows whats could happen and just wants info on care of babies and everything else. I will not get upset if something happens I mean I will but I will live. I had plenty of geckos not hatch and I found a baby fully developed inside the egg and it was dead. Sad thing but I got over it. Please don't tell me that I need to be this brave person because blood isn't what I think is the worst thing in the world. I don't like seeing a thing sick and I was just plain showing my affection for my chinchillas.

No, it's too late to get them evaluated. If your parents wanted to see if they were really female and female and forced you to put them together and you now know they aren't, OBVIOUSLY they have bred. Count 111 days.
That is SO ignorant. I'm sorry, I was going to try and be nice, but WHAT? Have you never heard of googling "Sexing Chinchillas"? Image search for the win.
Do you understand what you are saying? Dogs = Canine. Geckos = Reptiles. Neither = Chinchillas. Do you understand how delicate chinchillas are? Yeah, in the wild they breed like willy nilly, but from my understanding, breeders BREED TO BETTER THE SPECIES, not to make cute babies, not to make a dollar, because if you breed to make a dollar, you WON'T.
And we're not in the LEAST concerned about how YOU will handle it. We are concerned about the well being of the CHINCHILLAS. I could personally give a crap less about you, but if you're putting a poor 5 month old female at risk by slapping her in with a male just to see 'if they were both females' then you're obviously a HORRIBLE care taker and I'd leave it up to no one less than someone off of Craigslist to do better.
Sorry, but you have just REALLY said the WRONG things. Like I said, I was going to be nice, but this forum is about seeking out information and advice from fellow chin owners and if you don't plan to take it, I don't see a point in posting.

Last edited:
I'm not going to get into the "personality" of a high quality chinchilla but ........

:thinking:That is not what you have stated in your PM to me just now. :thinking:

You've already paired these chins "I have put them together" so you have already decided to breed them...........
:deadhorse:

Come on please keep this out I was just giving you some info so you may understand that is really something that you put that in. I was just explaining that I did something wrong and I am ready to try it in a more knowledgeable way.

Hannah, dear, now that you have changed your story a couple of times it has been made very clear that 1. you are going to breed and 2. you will not get our blessing, so move on and start learning how to care for the possibly poor quality, potentially maloccluding, most likely candidates for rescue, that you are intent on bringing into this world.

Hannah, dear, now that you have changed your story a couple of times it has been made very clear that 1. you are going to breed and 2. you will not get our blessing, so move on and start learning how to care for the possibly poor quality, potentially maloccluding, most likely candidates for rescue, that you are intent on bringing into this world.

Amen, Hallelujah, get the candles I am ready to pray to this one.

What the ??
Your parents are "making you" breed these chins and you don't know whether they are male and female?

Oh yeah, you've done lots of research :rolleyes:

I know how to get them to like each other
Explain - if you've found a way to get any chin to like another then please do tell us because we're all dying to know how it's done.

It can happen but if it happened so much then I think they would die in the wild and they would be extinct.
:thinking: They are almost extinct in the wild .........

and everything is fine to breed.................... I don't find this to be that fair seeing that you don't know me and my knowledge and I will get them both checked out before I breed to make sure everything is ok.
Explain - how will you get them checked out?

I know someone who has bred and he said it is almost fun and easy. I trust this man and he would get on and swear to this story. He just found them, the babies. All there and fine. He doesn't think there is anything to it.
Oh well, that's ok then - I am sure everyone who has gone through troubled births, losing mothers, C-sections, sleepless night, brutal injuries to kits, hand rearing kits etc etc will be pleased to know there's really nothing to it - clearly we've all been doing it wrong .........

We're wasting our time here guys - the decision has been made, the chins paired ............... :deadhorse:

All things have to breed I don't see the point. How do you know that I may better the species? If I find a problem then I promise you I will stop breeding. My comparison was there to show that things breed in the wild and if someone wants to they should be able to. I don't understand what this is about babies dieing and all that. It happens to some moms it happens to every species. I seriously don't understand why there has to be a attack on a person who may be doing something good. I don't think you are being in any way blunt you are being completely rude and I don't think that is fair. You can write all you want but I really will just look the other way if you are going to be rude and disrespectful because I really have no respect for it and I will take the people who actually want to help me or want to criticisize me but don't be rude. Get off and please understand that I won't let you disrespect me.

Haha!! you really think I am saying you are wrong. No I am saying it is not possible. Also, I am pretty sure that chaplain guy took a lot of them. Let me try to see what happens and if it doesn't work then I will stop.

All things have to breed I don't see the point. How do you know that I may better the species? If I find a problem then I promise you I will stop breeding. My comparison was there to show that things breed in the wild and if someone wants to they should be able to. I don't understand what this is about babies dieing and all that. It happens to some moms it happens to every species. I seriously don't understand why there has to be a attack on a person who may be doing something good. I don't think you are being in any way blunt you are being completely rude and I don't think that is fair. You can write all you want but I really will just look the other way if you are going to be rude and disrespectful because I really have no respect for it and I will take the people who actually want to help me or want to criticisize me but don't be rude. Get off and please understand that I won't let you disrespect me.

Oh? And what will you do with the poor quality kits til then? Sweep them under the rug like it didn't happen? Doesn't work that way doll.
Oh I'm being rude, that's great. Hmm, I think you're being ignorant, stubborn, and a danger to your chinchillas life. Opinions are great aren't they?
I'm not getting off this forum and the only people who have the power to tell me to get off are the moderators and admins. You're disrespecting your chinchillas well being, so why don't I have the right to tell you what you're doing to endanger them? Obviously, you're a teeny bopper (No offense to teens in general) who has her mind so full of the latest boy band craze that they can't stop for a MINUTE to think "Gosh, why am I getting so many negative opinions? Is it cause I'm doing something wrong? That's right, I can use the BOLD function too.

PS: Self Policing is against the rules. Use Warn function.

Last edited:
Wow! really obsessive... I waited for 111 days nothing happen (yes I can count). This happened a while ago. Nope I will keep as many of them as I can and I will give some to a good pet store if I need to. Yes, I said pet store oh my god shot me. This is so fun... I talk to people and someone who didn't have anything happen said he would do it again and nothing would happen this man is a smart man. If you dare say he is not then I will laugh at you. Hey, I am already look at that.

Last edited:
My god you guys are being really stupid why even try, why????? you should write some freakin sheet on your hates of breeding so no one gets mistreated like this I have been on many forums. ... once you see a slight fight even if it could be the part where they mate then you take them out. ... Kick me off please I can't even talk and I know this forum I won't be able to talk on this forum after this because you administrators talk about this and make it impossible for someone.

We're being ignorant, and yet, Peggy has years and years of breeding experience, HedgeMom has done more rescues than you can count and encountered many more vet bills than you will ever make in your LIFE, and many of the people who comment here have bred more show winning chins than you could ever posses with your pet store offspring. Funny! I'll have to write that one down for the CnH New Year's blooper reel.
Everyone does have a list of hates in breeding. Number one: People who ask for advice, but don't take it. Hmm...Sound familiar?
And I'm sure since you want to be kicked off so bad, that someone can accommodate you.
But seriously, don't come crying to us when your female dies of a perforated uterus or vaginal infection because sooomeone didn't know the correct amount of days to wait after delivery for dust baths. Or the numerous other things that can go wrong. Hope you have fun with that *Sarcasm*

Last edited:
Oh where is that please tell.... you see things that isn't there whoa really cool explain how.

I know someone who has bred and he said it is almost fun and easy. I trust this man and he would get on and swear to this story. He just found them, the babies. All there and fine. He doesn't think there is anything to it.

Some people get lucky, others don’t. Anyone can stick two animals together and make babies. You have to be willing to let your female go through something that may kill her. Not just eggs not hatching, but the mother dying during birth.

It sorta annoying all the ranch stuff keep it to yourselves who breed that you like breeders. I know you do and it is part of the business to put down pet stores I don't get the problem. I am telling the truth. I don't believe in breeders because they price there chinchillas higher than they should. Pet stores that are private should be considered to be fine.

Because the majority of animals (not just chins) that come from pet stores have problems. Do you support puppy mills, and think those animals are healthy? Do you honestly think the chins bred for pet stores are any different?

Have you taken a look at the prices of pet stores? Take a gander at the classifieds and tell me you can walk into a pet sore and find one cheaper. With the exception of the show quality ones, but lets face it you will not find a show quality dog from a pet store.

What age are your chins? Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think genetic mallo shows up at a year and a half. So if your chins are just a year old, and came from a pet store where you have no history, then they can’t truly be evaluated as being fit to breed until they are past that. Honestly unless the owner bred them you will not get an accurate age of them either. Also if they came from a store, how do you know you are not breeding brother and sister?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back