Painting a cage

• Thread starter Classic Chinchillas
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Classic Chinchillas

So I got a cage for cheap but it needs to be repainted. I might just see how well it cleans up but the woman said to use dupont (? I think, something like that) spray paint since it doesn't have lead and is apparently the only kind you can use for birds (it is a bird cage). Anyway I've heard of using rustoleum and may just see if I can get that or something to stop the rust. But my question is, do you think I can just paint it on with a brush or do I need to spray it on? I'm in an apt and am worried about getting paint everywhere if I have to spray it.

I've used Painters Touch (made by Rustoleum) on animal cages. It is child safe. I use a deep napped roller and roll the paint on, that way it gets between the spaces. I hold the wire upright when I roll, if you put it down on plastic, most of your paint will stick to the plastic. I roll the paint onto one side of the wire, turn it around and roll the other.

Sara,, I would not spray paint inside at all due to overspray and the fumes. I am not sure how hard it would be to roll a metal/wire birdcage but I am sure it could be done. We repaint our metal pans with Rustoleum once a year to stop rust and have not had an issue (plus..it makes the pans so pretty looking..lol).

Maybe just clean up what you can and only brush on paint over the rust spots?

Wow! i did not know you could actually paint the cage. i was wondering about it myself because i recieved a used caged my boyfriends mother. Are you sure it is safe?

Hey burkis,
I was told by some ranchers a few years back that they repaint the pans like sunshine chins does every so often; that's where I first heard about using rustoleum. If your cage has rust it shouldn't hurt the chins but it sure doesn't look nice.

So do you just spray the rustoleum into a tray or does it come in a can somewhere? Do I need to sand the cage or prime first? I was looking at some rustoleum last night but didn't remember which kind I should get and didn't see anything that said safe for kids or nontoxic but they all had different directions. The cage has a good amount of rust that I think the entire thing needs to be painted, plus she told me it was white before I went to get it and what do you know it is a yucky tan color.

I've repainted my cages and a couple hundred show cages. There are products that rustoleum sells that you spray on fist to stop the rust, then spray or paint the regular product.

I did it on the front porch and put a piece of cardboard down. Spray paint isn't that messy, for the most part it gets on what you direct it at. :p

Sara ... sand the rusty spots first before you paint them. You can find rustoleum in cans that you can brush on (or at least they used to sell it). Spraying it would be so much easier than brush painting it but unless you can find somewhere outside to do it I would go for brushing the whole thing.

You want to look for rustoleum paint that is for metal.

Once again I know this is an old thread but... I just finished painting a rather large cage with RustOleum Painters Touch(ITS PURPLE!) and I have to say that I think it looks pretty dang good. I got this cage for next to nothing at a garage sale. I guarentee that I put in at least 20 hours of work on this cage- it was quite rusted in some spots. So I sanded it down, primed and then painted. I found this site:

http://www.avianweb.com/refinishingcages.html

That talks about which paints are safe for birds, thats how I came to using RustOleum in the first place. I took pics but you cant see them because its to dark :( I am gonna have to take some in the morning so that you can see my purty cage. I'm hoping it is sturdy enough for my babies to have some fun in.

Back