Oxbox Hammocks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderz

Hi, I'm new to the forum! I have 3 boy chinchillas who will be turning 5 this year :)
I've been looking for fleece hammocks at a few different websites like Chinchilla City and a shop on Etsy, the only problem I have is the shipping. I don't really want to spend a ton of money just to ship it. Anyways, I found out that Oxbox has fleece hammocks. Would these be safe? Are they anti-pill?

Just make sure it's 100% fleece, including any lining, stuffing, fastening straps, borders, etc. A lot of store-bought hammocks use nylon webbing or something similar for the straps that attach to the hooks you clip to the cage. I don't know if that's true of the Oxbow ones or not, but if it uses any material besides fleece, then it's not chin-safe (metal for the grommets and hooks is fine, since they can't chew it).

Some Etsy vendors do free shipping, depending on where you live. You might just have to poke around a bit. I know my roommate ordered some cute fleece hammocks off Amazon. I don't have a link to the exact ones she got, but I doubt they're hard to find on there. You can also make your own if you're crafty.

It doesn't seem to give much information about the product, it just says "100% safe for pets" which is useless. I did find one Etsy shop owner who's prices aren't too bad and ship for free. It's called Pandamonium Pets (I'm sure its a common site).

It doesn't seem to give much information about the product, it just says "100% safe for pets" which is useless. I did find one Etsy shop owner who's prices aren't too bad and ship for free. It's called Pandamonium Pets (I'm sure its a common site).
Pandamonium Pets has some great-looking stuff. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I'm sure I will once my girl's new cage arrives. I'd forgotten they had free shipping!

Yes! I've been looking at their items for awhile now but just haven't gotten around to buying anything haha

Oh, I actually did order a box of chew toys from them recently, it just hasn't arrived yet, so I'd forgotten about it, haha. I think I may have also ordered a chinchilla first aid kit from them as well....unless that was from a different vendor. I've been making so many chin-related orders lately that I start to lose track, haha.

It looks like their hammocks are good and safe. I may even order a few myself!

I took a closer look at the Oxbow hammocks online. It *looks* like they might be okay. The fastening straps look like they're probably fleece, which is good. The only part I'm iffy about is that black border. I honestly can't tell what sort of fabric it is from pictures online. It could be black fleece, but it could be something else. I'd have to see it in person to be sure. I'll try to remember to look for it next time I go to the pet shop (assuming my pet shop even carries them). It would be nice to know if there's a mass-produced brand-name hammock that would be a safe option.

I found them on Chewy, but yeah I think I'll just pass on those. I don't want to buy a product that have little information about the materials.

Yeah, I wish companies were required to list the materials, like they are for human clothes.

Pandamonium pets has a good reputation on chinchilla-safe items. I have yet to order from them, but I have heard good things.

Oxbow is great for the food and OK (if a little expensive) for the hay, but their "chinchilla safe" items aren't always chinchilla safe. They recommend things like paper bedding and dried fruits for chinchillas, which are most definitely not safe. Best to be a bit skeptical and err on the side of safety.

Yeah, I ordered their hammocks but I just realized they won't be here until the 30th...so I'm cancelling that. I'm thinking of asking a relative to sew one for me out of fleece since I use it for their bedding anyway.

I really only use Oxbow's alfalfa pellets that I mix with another brand, and their timothy hay (sometimes I'll get the living things one). I would only buy their dried fruit treats for my gerbils.

Yeah, I ordered their hammocks but I just realized they won't be here until the 30th...so I'm cancelling that. I'm thinking of asking a relative to sew one for me out of fleece since I use it for their bedding anyway.

I really only use Oxbow's alfalfa pellets that I mix with another brand, and their timothy hay (sometimes I'll get the living things one). I would only buy their dried fruit treats for my gerbils.
Have you heard of the site Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue? It’s a great place to get neat treats, fleece, etc. for your chins, and also it helps support their rescue. I’ve gotten lots of great stuff, including a fleece hammock that my chin uses every day, and also a neat fleece “tent” that he loves to sleep in - all I see is his tail. Here’s the link: Chinchilla Rescue | Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue | Home

Have you heard of the site Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue? It’s a great place to get neat treats, fleece, etc. for your chins, and also it helps support their rescue. I’ve gotten lots of great stuff, including a fleece hammock that my chin uses every day, and also a neat fleece “tent” that he loves to sleep in - all I see is his tail. Here’s the link: Chinchilla Rescue | Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue | Home
Oh I think I saw that one. I thought it was an old site but I guess I was wrong! I clicked on your link and checked out a few of their products and so far I love the prices and how they have a bunch of different things! How long did it take for you to get your products? The regular 5-7 days?

Oh I think I saw that one. I thought it was an old site but I guess I was wrong! I clicked on your link and checked out a few of their products and so far I love the prices and how they have a bunch of different things! How long did it take for you to get your products? The regular 5-7 days?
Because it seems to be run by one woman, it can take longer than a week. She (Andrea) tries really hard to get orders out as soon as possible, but with the holidays, it will probably take longer. She’s also caring for her rescues, so I cut her slack. If she doesn’t have something I ordered, she immediately issues a refund. I’ve told her that when it comes to treats, I’m okay with her substituting something in stock. She’s very responsive to my emails.

Update: I ended up buying a hammock from Pandamonium and I think my boys love it! I was able to buy one that was ready to ship and it came within days. Definitely recommend their shop!

Back