Over cleaning?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, turns out some steps of my weekly cleaning is some chin owner's monthly deep cleaning. I'm already getting used to the weekly cleaning, and I'm not overworking myself physically or mentally, but for my two boys' sake, is this cleaning method okay? Or should I cut back on the cleaning a bit? Vinegar and water is the only cleaning solution I use. Also, I clean their Critter Nation in sections. So I block them off on the first level and deep clean the second level, and then let them go up into the second level and block them off there so I can clean the first level. Is this okay, or is it better for them to go into a seperate area entirely? The only other area I have for them that lets them be left without constant supervision is their dust bath area/travel carrier, however the dimensions are only 25 inch L x 12.5 inch W x 12.5 inch H .

If that works for you and the chins don't seem distressed by it that's fine, the chins end up with a cleaner living environment. Most people don't have the time to do a deep cleaning on the cage every week, either just other things to do or too many cages or other animals to take care of. Kind of like not everyone fully cleans their house every week, some people do (or hire someone to) but a lot don't.

If that works for you and the chins don't seem distressed by it that's fine, the chins end up with a cleaner living environment. Most people don't have the time to do a deep cleaning on the cage every week, either just other things to do or too many cages or other animals to take care of. Kind of like not everyone fully cleans their house every week, some people do (or hire someone to) but a lot don't.
I fortunately have a ton of free time, so that lets me have a lot of time to do stuff with my critters. Should I put them in a separate area though, like previously mentioned?

Are they bothered by being confined to one unit as you clean? if not I don't see a problem with it, it's a common way people do the cleaning in the double FN/CN cages. Since you are just using vinegar and water there isn't anything toxic they are breathing in or anything, just make sure everything is dry before allowing them back in the unit. I put my guys in a small cage while I clean, but I took out the middle floor in my FN cage so I can't lock them up in one unit as I clean the other. Before I removed the middle though I did just clean one unit at a time with them in the other like you are doing.

Are they bothered by being confined to one unit as you clean? if not I don't see a problem with it, it's a common way people do the cleaning in the double FN/CN cages. Since you are just using vinegar and water there isn't anything toxic they are breathing in or anything, just make sure everything is dry before allowing them back in the unit. I put my guys in a small cage while I clean, but I took out the middle floor in my FN cage so I can't lock them up in one unit as I clean the other. Before I removed the middle though I did just clean one unit at a time with them in the other like you are doing.
The more active one gets a bit fussy and hops around, but that's about it. The calmer one mainly stays in his hut. I clean the second floor first since the calmer/more timid one can stay inside the hut without disturbance longer, which he seems to enjoy. They'd both be even more bothered if I put them in the travel cage, since it's smaller and has no enrichment.

Hey. Recently I wondered what kind of vacuum cleaner is best to buy. Which filtration system to choose. In the review: Bissell 1400B Carpet Cleaner Review in 2019 - Spotcarpetcleaners I saw that you need to buy a vacuum cleaner in the HEPA filtration system. What is your vacuum cleaner. What kind of vacuum cleaner would you advise me to buy?
I actually don't use a vacuum cleaner, I just sweep with a broom and dust pan. I'm sure you can find some past threads about good vacuum cleaners though!

delete*** I spoke too soon. low vision & I missed the word "carpet" my bad

Last edited:
Back