Out of options

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullgirl

My chinchilla had gotten diarrhea so i took her to the vet to get some help. She prescribed me a medication for giardia. I gave it to her and a couple days later she wasn't pooping at all. She had gotten better attitude wise but now won't do anything at all. She hasn't eaten. She ate a bit of baby food that my vet had told me to give her. She still hadn't pooped at all so I called the vet today and said she thinks it could be an obstruction in her intestines ( something like that). She said that it would have to hav surgery a and it would cost about 800 dollars. I can not afford that much. Is there any suggestions that anyone has that i can try? Im afraid i might have to put her down.

Did your vet actually test for giardia? Did they take any x-rays? It seems weird to conclude that there is an obstruction and you need surgery without taking any x-rays.

Get Oxbow Critical Care ASAP and force-feed her with a 10mL syringe

If you can't get Critical Care shipped to you for a few days, then crush her pellets, mix them with safe water (not tap water) and a little canned pumpkin, and give that to her via syringe. Syringes are easy to find in the pharmacy section of any Wal-Mart, or any grocery store. Or a drug store.

Look up "burrito wrapping" for how to force-feed. It can be tricky, but there are lots of good posts on her about it.

Yes she did. She said that even though she couldnt see anything that it could still be there. She had every sign of giardia so she felt it was safe to give her some meds for it. Where do find oxbow Critical Care? Can you buy it in stores? What about pooping, will that help her?

You can order it from members on here. I get mine from AZChins, http://chinstore.azchins.com/List.htm
Unfortunately most stores don't have it. Some vets might. I live in a fairly large city and couldn't find it anywhere.

Getting her to start pooping is the goal. My chins had giardia and stopped eating and pooping. As soon as you notice it, it's essential that you get them pooping again, otherwise they can get stasis or bloat. Fortunately I have avoided those two issues, but some members on here have a lot of experience with them and can give you advice if that's what ends up happening.

I force-fed my chins 50-60 ml a day. They didn't like it, but they started pooping again. I am thinking your chin isn't pooping because she also hasn't been eating. That leads me to think it's more of an issue of anorexia, and not an obstruction.

Ok i will definitely do that! thanks so much. Also what about the meds that i have been giving her. should i stop? She has three days left for taking them.

You need to read this thread backwards and forwards. Your vet seems to not know what she is doing. Your chin needs critical care syringe fed in small doses around the clock, a gut motility drug, possibly antibiotics, simethicone (baby gas drops), probiotics and something for pain. You should also be giving belly massages and out of cage activity to promote gut motility. The thread should explain in detail what needs to be done. Good luck!

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553&highlight=sparky

I wouldn't stop the meds, but I would deep-clean her entire cage if you haven't already. Also, make sure you are giving her proper water, because that can cause giardia. Safe waters are Aquafina or Dasani.

When my chins were sick, I threw away all of their wood items and purchased new ones. I bleached their fleece in the laundry, and cleaned their cage every night. Giardia is hard to get rid of.

i asked my vet about the water i was giving her. I am giving her prufied water that said reverse osmosis on it. she said that it was ok, is it not? I will switch it. I have cleaned her cage. A new one is actually on the way. i won't be moving her until she is better. Sometimes i feel she may be a bit depressed cus her cage is small, but it was temporary. i got a larger one like the ferret nation. could that be related to this in any way? She has not had anything wood in her cage. I threw away all the ones she had and got more but havent put them in. I will clean her cage again.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things! It sounds like your water is good; Aquafina and Dasani are just examples.

I doubt the small cage has anything to do with it. If anything, it's good that you have her in a smaller cage while she is sick.

Don't put the new wood things in until she is better. Meanwhile, you can keep her entertained with toss-toys. Keep us updated!

Thank you all for the advice! i will do the best i can to keep my chin alive. As a first time owner i am a little stressed out. Is it way common for chins to get this sick a lot? I will start all of this tonight. Thank you all SO much! and i will keep you updated!!

If she's going into stasis you have to get food into her. I went through this with Lilo in December, and it is NOT fun. Input = Output, so shove as much food as you can into her to get her intestines moving. If she isn't eating, that could be the problem (or at least part of it).

My vet gave me me Metoclopramide for Lilo to get her gut moving to help, but she did need a lot of food before she started pooping.

Good luck!

I think that depends on who you ask! If you asked me...I've been having problems for 5 months straight, but there are others who seem to never have health problems. All luck of the draw, I guess! Once she gets cleared up I'm sure things will be better :)

Update:
Ok so as of this morning when i went to feed her, there where not any poops in her cage. Just a minute ago as we went to feed her again, there where a bunch of little poops in her cage :] now my question is, once we start seeing poop, what do we do? Do we still full on syringe feed her 50/60ml a day? Also, when we are done, how do we get her to eat by herself?

Yay!!!

I syringe fed mine until they started to eat pellets on their own again. Like Susan said, weaning them off of it is important, because some chins really enjoy it and don't want food any other way.

Ok, I'll keep feeding her. she still absolutely hates being force fed but hopefully she will feel better and start to eat again. Thank you all for your help!

Keep fresh food in her cage in small amount so you can tell if she eats any of it. Do keep force feeding her until you are sure she is eating well on her own and slowly transition her back to her normal food. Just be sure to watch her poops. Good luck!

Update: So today while i was at work, my mom let mowgli out to run around for a bit, and when putting her back into her cage, she gave her a piece of hay and mowgli ate it!! It was only one piece put its progress! Tonight is the last night of meds to give her so we hope her apatite will be back!

Back