Os penis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaJTA

That guy.
Most mammals (not including humans and higher primates) have a bone in their penis called the os penis (creative right?). I have found conflicting sources on whether or not the chinchilla has an os penis... Has anyone done a thorough dissection and found a penile bone?
I ask because during a hair ring check, I would worry about breaking the os penis if one was too rough with the base of the penis...

If I remember my animal husbandry course, only canines and ferrets have an os penis. It shows up very well on x-rays of my ferrets. I don't see anything like bone in the x-rays of my chins.

If I remember my animal husbandry course, only canines and ferrets have an os penis. It shows up very well on x-rays of my ferrets. I don't see anything like bone in the x-rays of my chins.

I know that rabbits do not, but most rodents do... cats, dogs, walruses (which are like a baseball bat), so I was not sure about chins...

Back