Orchard Grass

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon you are correct and it was stupid for me to assume!! well now that i know i can give them some as a treat and mix it up lol i think i will go buy some to help with there teeth!!!!

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1526

Orchard Grass:

Orchard Grass is a green, fruity-smelling grass hay which many small animals enjoy. To the untrained eye, it looks identical to timothy grass, but the seed heads have a different shape.

Orchard Grass is a perennial cool season grass with flat leaf blades. The leaves vary in color from green to bluish-green depending on the maturity of the plant. The lower surface of the leaf is not shiny; and leaf sheaths can be somewhat rougher to the touch than timothy.

Orchard Grass is recommended by veterinarians for small herbivores due to the nutritional content. Orchard Grass can be mixed with other grass hays when feeding your pet. This is encouraged because animals seem to like the variety. Mixing your grasses will encourage them to eat more hay, which is beneficial to the health of the animal.

Hay is absolutely vital to the health of small herbivores. Orchard Grass also provides a long-strand fiber source that is needed to improve the digestive and intestinal functions by stimulating the digestive system. When animals are fed free-choice hay, it promotes their natural chewing behavior, which helps prevent molar spurs and other dental problems that are so common in these small herbivores.

Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay

Animals love the sweet smell and taste of leafy Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay, and that makes it a good addition to an herbivore’s healthy meal plan. Like other long-strand grass hays, the soft-textured Orchard Grass Hay is high in fiber, low in protein and supports the health of small herbivores by stimulating digestion, preventing obesity and making mealtime more appealing. Mix Orchard Grass Hay with other Oxbow grass hays to create a sweet and nutritious combination. Sizes: 15 oz, 40 oz, 9 lb, 25 lb, 50 lb.

Ingredients
100% Orchard Grass Preservative and Additive Free. Loose hay contains stems, leaves, and limited seed heads.

Guaranteed Analysis
• Crude Protein min 7.00%
• Crude Fat min 1.50%
• Crude Fiber max 32.00%
• Moisture max 15.00%

Western Timothy Hay

Western Timothy grass hay with high-fiber, low-protein and low-calcium content, helps keep the gastrointestinal tract of rabbits and small herbivores functioning properly.

Western Timothy hay will help prevent obesity, maintain a healthy urinary system and improve overall health. A high-fiber diet will also lower the incidence of soft stools, intestinal gas and bloating. Timothy hay is the most widely recommended hay by veterinarians for rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and other herbivores. Its fresh fragrance encourages consumption.

Hay is absolutely vital to the health of small herbivores. It provides not only nutrition, but environmental enrichment that mimics the animal's natural habitat. Western Timothy provides a long-strand fiber source that is needed to improve the digestive and intestinal function by stimulating the digestive system.

Feeding animals free-choice hay promotes a natural chewing behavior and helps prevent molar spurs and other teeth problems so common in these small herbivores.

Oxbow Western Timothy Hay

Looking for a good, basic grass hay with high quality nutrition, and a fresh fragrance that’s irresistible to small herbivores? Oxbow Western Timothy Hay is the ideal long-strand fiber source for keeping small animal digestive tracts functioning properly. Our most popular grass hay—with high fiber, low protein and low calcium content—is widely recommended by veterinarians. Oxbow Animal Health was the first pet food company to introduce timothy hay as a staple in the small animal diet. It is now an industry standard. Sizes: 15 oz, 40 oz, 9 lb, 25 lb, 50 lb.

Ingredients
100% Timothy Hay. Preservative and additive free. Loose hay contains stems, leaves, and limited seed heads.

Guaranteed Analysis
• Crude Protein min 7.00%
• Crude Fat min 1.50%
• Crude Fiber max 32.00%
• Moisture max 15.00%

My Summary:

Similar Guaranteed Analysis but different textures. I personally use orch as a treat and tim as the staple diet.

Christa, I made a print out of safe woods and hays, and kept it in my purse. That way I had easy reference to what was okay.

I don't know if we still have the safe hay list and I'm doing it from memory, so if I miss some, please feel free to add:

Timothy
Brome
Oat
Orchard Grass
Botanical(oxbow)
Alfalfa (sparingly, if you feed an Alfalfa-based pellet)

I go between Timothy and Orchard grass, and they love them both! I just get whichever bales look freshest and nicest at the feedstore, and they're happy with either of them.

Nice to see these chins have variety! lol

I gave them both Timmy and Orchard Grass today and Chula still definitely likes the Timmy bette (even after eating the grass like a noodle yesterday). He ate all the Timmy and the Orchard Grass is still sitting there. Hopefully he's get used to it a bit since I don't have a ton of Timmy left and won't be able to get some until Thursday. :(

Tika prefers our home grown orchard grass, that we bail for our alpacas, over any other hay i have given her. What we cut is really pretty soft and packed with nutrition. The only thing i could see being a problem is if your orchard grass is super soft like ours make sure you have lots for the kids to chew on since hay is what keeps those back teeth down (if orchard grass is their only hay for a long time). I mix it up like many others posted, they seem to like variety.

Tika prefers our home grown orchard grass, that we bail for our alpacas, over any other hay i have given her. What we cut is really pretty soft and packed with nutrition. The only thing i could see being a problem is if your orchard grass is super soft like ours make sure you have lots for the kids to chew on since hay is what keeps those back teeth down (if orchard grass is their only hay for a long time). I mix it up like many others posted, they seem to like variety.

Don't suppose you sell any do you? You're pretty local and I've had the devil's own time finding a reliable local source of *any* hay worth feeding.

Christa, if you need Timothy, let me know, I have it. Otherwise, Petsmart on Southside has Oxbow Timothy, Orchard Grass, and Botanical. The 40 oz. Timothy is 9.99; the others are 16 oz size for 4.99.

Thanks! I didn't realize that Petsmart sold Oxbow. $9.99 though? Sheesh. While I don't mind paying for it, I just think about how much cheaper the privately owned pet store is ($6.85 for 40oz.). You would think it would be the other way around.

Hey, please PM me the name of that pet store? That's a lot less than I've been paying.

Back