Orchard Grass

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
I went to the pet store I shop at to get more Oxbow Timmy Hay and they were out. :( The owner offered to give me an entire bag of Oxbow Orchard Grass to hold them over until they got more Timmy in next week. He was a very nice guy. My question is, is this ok for chins? I haven't heard much about it. There is a picture of a chin on the front, but we all know that means nothing. With it being Oxbow I trust it a little more, but I wanted your opinions.

I still have some Timmy left and I was going to mix it with the Orchard Grass if that's ok.

Oxbow Orchard Grass is fine for chins. I feed Orchard grass regularly to all my chins along with Timothy and a small amount of brome grass.

Oxbow Orchard Grass is fine for chins. I feed Orchard grass regularly to all my chins along with Timothy and a small amount of brome grass.

isnt that more expensive on your behave to buy something that when its not real neccisarry. not trying to start anything just a question?:grad:

I'm not sure but I seem to remember orchard grass being just timothy hay with some different types of herbs in it. we buy it every once in a while for a treat.

Ah so ppl use it like a treat? lol well ess ignore my first comment i had just never heard of it or even seen it

Orchard grass is just fine, and no it's not a hay with herbs in it. It's a grass type hay like timothy. I think you're thinking of Botanical Hay when you say it has herbs in it.

I have fed orchard, and my chins like it. It just isn't as hard of a hay as timothy, so many people don't fed it by itself since it may not wear down the teeth as well.

And cola, as far as feeding different types of hay being unnecessary, honestly I have heard that it is recommended to feed different types/cuts because each hay with a different texture wears down the teeth differently. Softer hay they use their molars to grind down so it helps wear the molars, while a harder hay like a stemmy 1st cut timothy or oat hay will wear down their incisors.

I think you're thinking of Botanical Hay when you say it has herbs in it.

THATs what I was thinking of. I knew after I posted the first one that somthing was off. I just couldn't remember what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Oxbow's Orchard grass is great! And your chins will probably go wild over having something new and different :)

Haha. Chula grabbed a long piece and slurped it down like a noodle. He never took it out of his mouth, it just kept getting shorter. :p I'm assuming this means he likes it. Buttons doesn't seem to like it as much as Timmy, but we'll see how much is gone by morning.

I feed Orchard Grass here, along with timothy. I mix it in or sometimes just feed the orchard grass by itself. They seem to get bored of the same hay all the time.

One of my girl will eat more hay when I feed her orchard tham timothy. I just give both. Their taste and smell are different.

I use orchard grass most of the time, one of my coworkers has a small farm and gives me all my chins can eat.

Hmm oxbow hay is on sale at the store we go to maybe I'll pick up a little bag for everyone.

Orchard is fine. I feed exclusively orchard right now, since I can get it by the bale from a guy who sells hay for rabbits. I paid a premium price for a bale of hay... $22 for what'll probably end up being a year's worth :p I couldn't find any timothy I liked for a decent price.

I feed primarily timothy but I also add in other grass hays and some oat hay for variety, it's fine!

Back