Opinions wanted: online purchases/customer service

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
I'm looking for unbiased opinions on an issue I've had recently. My husband thinks I'm crazy for trying to be nice and helpful, but I think putting forth extra effort for customer service will go a long way in the end...maybe I'm wrong :/

Background: I have an online store where I sell custom/made-to-order items. A buyer purchased one of these items around Christmas time, however he requested an add-on that he did not pay for. I emailed him to talk about it and arrange payment. He agreed but also said he had expected the item to arrive within the next day or two. I pointed out that the item was special-order, and it was during the holiday, so it would be 1-3 weeks. Had he bothered to read the item description he would have known that, but I digress....

The story: Fast forward a few weeks, and I get several early morning phone calls and a voicemail, followed by an email. Apparently the item he purchased had broken. He demanded a replacement item to be overnighted to him and a full refund of his original purchase price and shipping, minus the expense for the replacement, however I was expected to cover any and all shipping charges for the replacement as well as the return of the broken item. From what I can tell it was under an unusual amount of stress, however I stand by my 60 day guarantee, so I told him I would be happy to repair it for no charge, all he had to do was send it back. He insisted that he was still using it and could not send it back until I sent him a replacement. I explained that I make all of these items as they are ordered, and that I did not have one to send out immediately - because of this, he really ought to just send his back for repair. I also questioned how he could still be using the item when it was apparently completely broken. At this point I started to get suspicious of his story. He was quite rude in his reply, but basically said that they had made "temporary repairs" so they were still using it. I conceded and made and sent out a replacement first thing this morning, as he requested, and he said once it arrived he would return the original item. I was OK with that since I can repair and resell the original, refund him the difference, and only be out shipping fees. Furthermore, I've never had an item break like this, so I was surprised and more than willing to rectify it.

I received an email a few minutes ago from him saying he took the item somewhere locally and had it repaired, and is now expecting me to pay HIM for the repairs he had done. Keep in mind, I still have NO proof that the item was broken/damaged in the first place. Typically if people have a problem I ask for pictures as proof, OR they just send it back to me.

Considering I offered to repair it for free, there is no way I am going to pay him for repairs he had done to it. Furthermore, now that it has been modified by someone else, my original 60 warranty is null and void. On top of that, he didn't tell me of this until after the fact, AND after I already sent out another item that I cannot get back.

What do you think? Do you think I should have done more or do you think I'm being fair? Considering most business require you to return the original item before they send another one, I think I was more than accommodating. Unfortunately for me, he could very well dispute his cc charges and leave me without both items, shipping, and payment for any of it, I'm afraid.

I'm going to be rewriting some of my policies as a result of this, so at least something helpful will come of it.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right and he is obviously a miserable jerk.

I think it sounds like you went above and beyond. Also, I believe there are people who make these sorts of unreasonable customer service demands partly out of a weird sense of entitlement, but also as a power play. I wouldn't be surprised if this person turns out to have a dictatorial boss or domineering family.

Time to cut your losses, I'd say. You're not going to make this customer happy.

You need to get the item back before you refund anything to him. It isn't fair for him to keep it and get another one.

He must be on something or really have a lot of nerve!

(I agree with everyone above...he is a miserable ***.)

Susan - yes that is one of the things I've now put into my official policies. In my hurry to pacify this guy, I overlooked it; obviously I won't be making that mistake again. :/. This guy has been such a jerk about everything, but I suppose I take it personally when I shouldn't. It's very possible he is an @** to everyone he speaks to.

Or a scam artist. Sellers are terrified of getting turned into Paypal or Etsy or Ebay or even credit card companies. Much of the time they find in favor of the buyer and the seller has to eat all costs no matter what.

One time I had someone turn me into her credit card company even though I gave her a full refund...she was trying to get paid back twice!! People can be so much fun!

Put a stop ship on today's package; you can probably do it right now at UPS.com, FedEx.com, etc. He got what he needed. You went above and beyond what's required considering there's not even a bad cell phone picture as proof it's not just him being a greedy bastard. Screw him. You did your part.

I wasn't even aware of the stop shipment possibility. I shipped USPS, so unfortunately it will cost me more to stop it than the item cost me to make and ship, so it looks like he's getting a freebie. But, if he wants to continue to gripe I can at least say that I did everything in my power to rectify the situation, and since our communication has been via email (I never do business over the phone for this reason), I have it all in writing at the very least.

Is this an Ebay sale?

You are being way too nice! For the future, never send out a replacement/refund unless you receive the original item back. At the very least a picture. Put this on your policies. This guy is nuts and if you're on ebay, put him on your "blocked bidders list" and forget about it. I wouldn't have given him anything, he would have to file a paypal claim against me and I'd fight tooth and nail. I have some choice words for him, but I guess that wouldn't be good customer service, lol. Tell him you sent a replacement item and there isn't anything further you can do. Also, let him know that you went above and beyond what is required since he didn't send the original item back.

The nerve of him wanting you to send a replacement and refund all his money with shipping charges.... then he wants you to pay for repairs!!! UNBELIEVABLE! Don't let yourself get pushed around by these jerks!

The original sale was on Etsy, so unfortunately I can't block him. However if he ever tries to buy from me again, I can "refuse service" and cancel his sale, which I definitely will do.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I probably was too accommodating, but at least now I have a plan of action if it ever happens again.

Since it's Etsy, where word of mouth is so important, I'd have a rebuttal/explanation already written if he decides to turn it into a smear campaign. Quote those emails, explain you never got pictures, etc., in case he decides to take it to site management and drag this out further.

You definitely went above and beyond with your customer service.

I agree, document the entire process in case he does try to start something. I would not sell him anything in the future.

Well it has been about a week since he received the "replacement" item, and about 10 days since I've actually heard from him, and he has not sent me any more messages. Hopefully (knock on wood) I won't hear from him ever, ever again!

Back