One of my girls has a naked butt! :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
I came home from a trip the other day, and when I checked on the girls, I saw that Daisy was missing a HUGE strip of fur (about 3 inches wide and an inch high) from her back end! It was GONE - down to the skin, so I don't think it was chewing. I was gone for one day, and my husband was home, so I have no idea what happened other than a massive fur slip. She is in with three other chins, and all of the rest look fine. She is acting normal (though embarrassed), eating, and drinking just fine.

I've had minor fur slips, but I've never had anything like this. There was also no visible fur in or around the cage. There were no marks or bites on her; it just looks like the fur was pulled out. Has anyone had a slip like this before? Do I need to be worried about her getting along with her cage mates? They were all snuggling just fine last night, so they seem to still be getting along well...

Keep a close eye on them. It could be that she was jumping around and got scared or caught on something that made her slip a big chunk of fur. Make sure to keep a close eye on all three of them for eating, stools and drinking.

Do you have fleece liners or bedding? Check either thoroughly when it's cleaning time. When chin fur spreads out, it's almost unnoticeable. If there's still no evidence of fur, that means it either blew away or the chins ate it. If they ate it, there is risk of impaction so you have to watch their eating and stools.

I've had chins slip a giant clump of fur like that before, but I have also had other things happen. It's not the most common place to fungus - that's always a possibility with fur loss. Watch it closely and make sure that the fur is growing back and the bald patch isn't getting larger.

Has this chin lost any weight recently? Does she seem to be eating alright?

She is just as fat as she always was! The section of bald skin hasn't gotten any bigger, and there doesn't seem to be any irritation or scaliness. I'm hoping it was a one-time, big fur slip that won't happen again, but I will keep an eye on it and have a vet ready to call!

Sometimes with fungus it isn't red or scaly right off. Every year or so someone here gets a touch of it from out of nowhere...normally younger chins. The last time one girl got it on her side and it looked like a fur slip at first, but later on it was clear it was something else.

I'm hoping that your baby girl just had a fur slip, too. The fur starts to grow back pretty quickly when that is the case.

Chins are weird like this...there's always something to make us nuts. :)

Well, it hasn't gotten any bigger, and she is still acting fine, so that is good. She also seems to be getting a very light peach fuzz.

I need to take a picture... her butt is so sad!

Bostin had a bald butt after a fight with Bear one night. It was my cue to separate them..I had no idea they had been fighting until I saw his little bald butt :( He also had a few bite marks on it. It took a couple months to grow back, but I'm happy to report that Bostin's butt is no longer cold and exposed....

Back