OMGosh! What to get first!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casie77

Omgosh I'm just overwhelmed with all the stuff I want to get for my little Edward's new ferret nation cage! His new chin spin is on the way and a corner metal litter pan, so what should be next? I have a wish list of about $300 and it doesn't even include ledges!!! Should bass metal pans be next? He leaves the plastic pans alone so should I spring for the fleece items next? He needs more toys and chew items, so toys before decor? ahhhh I want to get it all for our little guy :)

Can anybody give me some suggestions??

Thanks,
Casie

I had this same problem also. It's so expensive when you're just starting to get everything! If you have a litter pan on the way, you could wait on bass pans. Are you already making ledges or have them ordered? I would do that next. Then order what your budget will allow from a site like Camphor Chins or Quality Mutation Chinchillas that has both fleece and toys. Its alright to gather your supplies slowly; Edward doesn't know what he's missing!

I agree, liter containment whether you're doing the fleece or bedding route, then get a few perches and ledges. Once that is done consider the extras. If you are handy with tools it is pretty easy to make your own ledges. With a jigsaw, drill, wrench and elmer's non-toxic wood glue you can make some awesome huts, perches and ledges.

I would make his cage safe first and foremost. Especially in light of the fact that there is a chin in serious trouble due to impaction from part of a FN plastic pan on the forum right now. Things to chew are a necessity so those would be at the top of the priority list too. Does he have a hide house (wooden would be good for him to chew as well)? Chins need a place to feel secure in their cage. If you get wooden ledges those would serve as a chew toy in addition to making his cage much more fun. My chins love their fleece tubes so that would be next on my personal shopping list :)). Have fun shopping! Lots of fun things are great but be sure to have enough of the basics (good feed, hay, dust) first before going nutty with the extras, those can come in time :)). I'm sure your chin will be very happy with his Chinspin, it is an awesome wheel!

I agree it's pretty easy to do your own ledges and shelves so I would do that first. I have always gone that route. I just did Diesels cage with 3 long shelves, 2 leapers, and a house for about $25 worth of Pine.

my order would be:

apple sticks, ledges, fleece to cover plastic pans, fleece covered tube or wooden hidey house.

2 things my chins can not live without are: apple wood sticks to chew & a place to hide be it a fleece coverd tube or a wooden house house or hammock.

I would get some apple wood.
A stone ledge (easy to clean) and a tunnel (I prefer steel base tunnels) are also great ideas.
Have fun decorating the cage!

I would get some apple wood.
A stone ledge (easy to clean) and a tunnel (I prefer steel base tunnels) are also great ideas.
Have fun decorating the cage!

I am curious what you like about the steel base tunnels VS the plastic type?
I have never heard of the steel base until now. What type of steel is used?

I am curious what you like about the steel base tunnels VS the plastic type?
I have never heard of the steel base until now. What type of steel is used?

I don't have a tunnel, but I would prefer steel base also mainly because I am terrified of my chin chewing/eating the plastic...

Definitely ledges and apple wood or other chew items first, then a tunnel or tube for him to hide in. Then maybe some fleece items such as a cuddle buddy, hammock or couch. i am in the same boat as you..so much stuff and not enough ideas to go around! :) But what ever your choices are, your chinny will love you!

PVC is a hard plastic, most chins do not chew it apart, and since it's so thick if they try generally they don't even get anything off of it. I've had no problems with pvc tunnels and for the price difference, I think it's worth giving those a shot before investing in the metal ones.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think I'm going to try and make some ledges and places for him to jump. I think I can handle giving those a try. I was going to order them but I may try myself first. I am also going to order him sticks and chews. Then add in the rest. I have some fleece here but dont know if I can sew it up myself. (I am better with a drill than I am with a sewing machine!) I am also going to order him a bridge from a member on the forum. :) I'm excited. Getting the bottom outfitted for him first them move on to the top. Shoot by then I'll need to get him a buddy to play with!

Back