okay not to eat alfalfa cubes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

My boys used to eat alfalfa cubes and now I can't get em to touch them. I know these are fairly important ....was wondering if your chins eat alfalfa cubes regularly?

Certain times of the year mine seem to like them more than others. I use timothy/alfalfa hay cubes and they eat more of those than just the plain alfalfa, but will sometimes use plain alfalfa cubes and that seems to be what they will ignore from time to time.

It sounds normal to me, do you give them loose timothy hay?

Yes they get it everday plus bluegrass hay. I do give them about a handful of loose alfalfa. Is the alfalfa hay good for them too?

Does Mazuri have alfalfa? I can't remember what I read about it now! I hope it does!

They seem to absolutely love the alfalfa hay though!

Too much alfalfa can actually be a bad thing. It is very high in calories, very rich in protein which can cause diarrhea, and very high in calcium which can cause kidney/bladder stones. It is good for growing chins, but once they reach adulthood, they don't need near as much. I wouldn't give it any more than once a week, personally. The only alfalfa my guys get are in their pellets.

Back