# of food bowls?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestar

just wondering how many bowls people have for pellets in their cages when there's more than one chin?
my pair have 2 dishes but they only seem to eat out of one or the other. i'm afraid if i take away a bowl & put all the pellets in a single dish they may fight.
advice?

I only ever have one, but I use hanging feeders. The only time I have ever seen my chins fight over their feeding spot is if it is completely empty and has been for some time (i.e., someone dug all the pellets out immediately after I fed them). Other than that, I have never had a fight over a feeder.

I only ever have one, but I use hanging feeders. The only time I have ever seen my chins fight over their feeding spot is if it is completely empty and has been for some time (i.e., someone dug all the pellets out immediately after I fed them). Other than that, I have never had a fight over a feeder.

What do the hanging feeders look like?

I had a very dominant male in my pair that would chase Crash out of the bowl, so I ended up using two of everything (hay rack and water bottles too). If your guys share well, I'd try taking one dish out for a while and observe to see if they bicker. If they don't, you might be able to get away with just one dish for the two.

I use large cat crocks, and both my chins can fit at the bowl at the same time. BUT to prevent any issues, I have pellets downstairs and hay upstairs in the FN's, and water on each level, too.
You kind of have to think of it like having two small children, if you give them the opportunity to fight over something, they eventually will, lol.

So true. It just really depends on your chinchillas. So far my two pairs have been fine with one of everything but before I separated Buster & Rupert, I put extra pellets and hay in a spot just for Rupert b/c Buster was extremely bossy and would hog everything. I also had to put two lava dots in as well and make sure there were two sleeping houses etc. and in the end I separated them b/c Buster was just an obnoxious twerp that was intimidating poor Buster way too much for my liking.

Buster was just an obnoxious twerp that was intimidating poor Buster way too much for my liking.

Oops, I meant Buster was intimidating poor Rupert too much for my liking.

I have two chins and only one bowl. Now they fuss over it a little when they both want to eat at the same time but I mean one just makes a noise and the other waits for the other one to get done then eats. But there is sometimes where they sit and eat together. I say have one bowl and just watch them. If you see one isn't eating or one isn't letting the other chin eat then put two bowls back in the cage.

Back