Odd sound and Drips of Pee???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sight

I just awoke to Tika making a sound that i have never heard her do before. She would do about 10 calls starting loudest and then fading out. I jumped up to watch her, she just kept doing this... 10 calls and about a 5ish second wait then again and again. I opened the cage up and removed her. I felt over her, looked for tender spot, no blood, nothing. So i started to look around in the cage. There are litter pee "drips" all over her shelves... she has a pine shaving little pan that she uses very well so im a little worried. I flipped her over and looked at her nether region, no inflammation i can see. Since i have removed her from the cage she has stopped making the calls.

Any idea what could be going on?

Hmmm.... I don't know if she had a urinary tract infection, she may or may not be red and inflamed. If she does this again you may want to take her to the vet.

If she was barking like that, she was probably really spooked. My only guess would be something must have really spooked her and she sprayed at whatever she thought it was, and those are the drips of urine that you are seeing. If that's not the case, she may have another issue going on, and if you keep noticing it, I would definitely take her to the vet.

Are you sure it's urine? Look at her girl parts and see if the split in her labia is "open" if so she may just be in heat and is calling for a mate, and either cleaning or dribbling to say here I am. Some females you can never tell, and some you can. If this is "closed" or looks sealed then you should watch for stretching, sometimes when chins get bloat and stretch they also pee a little as a result.

Otherwise you might want to get her in to have a check up for a UTI or kidney stones.

ETA: A UTI will not cause red genitals unless it's from the chin cleaning that area excessively. The infected parts are all well inside, if the infection was ignored it may spread and cause secondary issues.

Sounds like the chinchilla "warning" call to me. As for the urine, yeah, just keep an eye on her for any more unusual dripping, over grooming of the area, etc.

Rich

I have been watching her all day so far. She seems to be acting pretty normal. She ate a little at about 8 and has just been sleeping in her normal place/position. She hasn't made any more of those sounds, and there are no more pee dribbles. I am starting to think that you are right Riven, and she might just be coming into heat. She is about just a little over 4 months old, could this be her first time in heat?

Good chance it is. Make sure she's drinking and eating and if the rest of the "symptoms" aren't there I'd just keep an eye on her.

I marked the water bottle last night to see if she was drinking, she is, and i saw her eat a little early this morning. Hopefully those calls where just looking for a male. Thanks for the help! I will keep a close eye on her and make sure she continues to eat and drink

Yep I would have to agree with riven on this one. Good possibility she is in heat. Keep an eye on her tho. cause we can not see her and it is only a "best guess" If she doesn't get better, take her to the vet.

I at the moment also own some chinnie girls around the age as yours. I can tell you that I experienced almost the same exact thing, and I found her to be in heat the next day. She make kaking calls over and over with a few seconds in between, and she sprayed her cagemate female who she was with since newborn. She had also taken to spraying me and anyone else who picked her up. Just like us girls, I cannot imagine what type of moody swings and horomones they go through, and how they feel when this happens. Just because they are in heat without bleeding, it really to me makes no difference, because they are going through a change that probably scares them until they are used to it.

With the Kidney stones, or UTI, this can be a symptom, but not always, if you look on any wooden parts, if she pees on them, you might see calcification and that can lead to kidney stones. A irinary tract does affect the insides, but if it gets out of hand, eventually you will see some evidence I am guessing near the outer part where she pees, because usually it starts from the bacteria getting in from outside, and irritating the utethra, or the part that connects to the bladder. If not taken care of it will cause kidney infections, and can be a culprit of stones, but the stones can also cause the UTI if present.. so you dont know really for sure if it was the chicken or the egg first so to say. I have a feeling it is a heat though an not complicated like this.

yepp sounds like heat calls to me. When my girls do this, my boys go crazzzzzzyyyyyyy...silly girls :winkers:

but I would still keep an eye on her for another day or so just in case it isn't what it seems

I have been watching her like a hawk, and keeping an eye on one of the pee stains (i scrubbed the other ones off, but left 1 too look for calcification). Nothing... she seems to be back to normal, her little sassy self. She is eating and drinking good, normal bowels, and normal activity.

Thanks for all the fast responses, she really freaked me out that early morning. But i think it is safe to say that it was just her going into heat.

Back