Odd Chin Eating Habit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

One of my chins eats her Oxbow pellets very oddly. She holds her pellet and nibbles it down to where she is holding onto the remaining portion of the pellet. She then sniffs it and tosses that portion on the floor of the cage!!! Is this weird, eccentric, just plain OCD-like or is she just a damned picky eater?? LOL I have not observed my other chin eating pellets in the same manner.

Both of mine does that too, and they are in different cages. One of them would throw the small-ish pieces back into the bowl and pick up larger piece to munch on. At the end of the day when there isn't anymore large pieces left, he would have no choice but to eat up the balance chewed pieces which he chucked earlier. The other chin just toss is out and everywhere.

I have one like that. She tosses it back in the bowl half the time. We originally thought tooth problems when we found bowls of tiny pellet bits but found no issue with her and 6-8years later she still does it. She gets irritating as she wastes pellets either making bits that get too small for her and her cagemate to pick up or dropping them where they get dripped by water and peed on.

One of my chins eats her Oxbow pellets very oddly. She holds her pellet and nibbles it down to where she is holding onto the remaining portion of the pellet. She then sniffs it and tosses that portion on the floor of the cage!!! Is this weird, eccentric, just plain OCD-like or is she just a damned picky eater?? LOL I have not observed my other chin eating pellets in the same manner.
As I mentioned earlier, Swee Swee does this a lot.

Back