Not eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadebf700

So I know I have been pretty much MIA for the past, oh, 16 months or so... Buddy isn't eating NEARLY as much as he should be. He hasn't gone through a scoop (A tablespoon or 2) or food in the past 2 days. Tried throwing some lifeline in there to entice him but no dice. He seems to be pooping like normal. They all look normal size and shape and such. The only change I can think of is I have started to vacuum his cage out every day. Could this be effecting his food intake? Other than not eating, he seems to be acting ok. Also, don't judge, he has been getting a little more attention as of late. Like any attention is more. But I would think this would make him happier? Any thoughts?

Do you have a weight log? Going off feed/ weight loss can be early signs of several different ailments.

What type of pellet is he on? Has it only been the last 2 days?

If his poops and everything else looks fine I wouldn't be too worried. Chinchillas eat when they're hungry. Perhaps he's not growing as rapidly and his body does not need as much food. I am sure their diets fluctuate like humans do. What is the temperature like? I have heard some chins sleep more in the summer and therefore I'd assume they'd eat less. My girls are crazy babies so it's hard to really compare them to anyone else. How's he doing on eating hay? It's possible he's stressed by the vacuum but I would think he'd get use to it after a bit if that is the case. Keep a close eye on him but hopefully it's nothing. As far as the rosehip goes, some chins just don't like them that much. My little malo boy snubbed them but loved rolled oats and shredded wheat. Has he been losing weight? Is he drinking the same? If he's maintaining weight I'd just keep an eye on him.

they do eat different amounts each day.. will he eat another treats..have youu tried his favorite treats if it wasnt a rose hip? could he be eatig more hay perhaps? if his poop does change size, i would get him to a vet immediately.

His favorite treats used to be rose hips. Maybe that has changed. I woke up and all his food was gone so I guess he just wasn't hungry before. Just thought it was weird. Maybe he is finally used to the vacuum? Of course the night that I post asking to question, he eats all his food after not eating for a few nights right? I don't know. Maybe he is just making up for the time that he eats double what he usually does...
Thanks for all the input!

Back