Not eating, GI stasis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxYukai

Hi all, I really need some advice. Please no judgment.
My chinchilla hadn't been eating and drooling for three days so I took him to get dental work. They fed him CC there and he came home. He's been home with me for another 5 days and still isn't eating. He's so fussy that I haven't been able to get a lot of CC into him. I have to be honest here so I believe it's been a week from today since he was fed a decent amount.
He was on Baytril and Metacam so I figured he didn't have an appetite from the Baytril. Called the vet and she said to stop using it, so I have. He's still not eating.
I didn't realize they needed to keep eating to keep their guts working and didn't even realize what GI stasis was, so now I'm afraid it's too late because I wasn't feeding him enough.
He hasn't pooped and isn't interested in water either. I've been giving him gas drops in case it helps.
Also, for some reason, he is crazily licking my hands!
My main question is should I continue to push food into him so he's not in so much pain or should I continue to feed him?
I'm getting him to a vet ASAP of course. I just really don't want him to suffer anymore if he's in pain from this and wont recover. It's entirely my fault.
Thanks.

How long as it been since no poop? If it's been more then 24 hours then no don't push food get him to the vet right away. After 24 hours of not eating they start going into GI stasis and they are unable to digest anything so food just sits there filling his stomach. He needs medication to get his gut going again, iv fluids, and if it's not too late probiotics to replenish the digestive bacteria that has died due to lack of food, and force fed small meals every couple hours. The sooner after not pooping you get him in the better, but GI stasis is an up hill battle.

Here is some info on constipation and stasis
https://www.cuddlebugchinchillas.com/information/health/constipation.html
Here is how to burrito wrap so you can force feed
https://www.cuddlebugchinchillas.com/information/health/burrito.html

Back