normal weight?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
So I bought a scale today and weighed Buddha for the first time. He is only about 6 months old, and he's grown a lot since we got him at ten weeks, but I just want to make sure that this a normal weight for a 6 month old male? I weighed him at 195 grams. This could be wrong, but I weighed him twice and it seemed to come out to that? I could be doing it wrong, I've never done this before! Haha

That is a very low weight. I think you might be doing it wrong. I don't know what scale you have so I can't help you figure out what your doing wrong. :/

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

My standard girl at 3 mths 6 days was 352 grams. My ebony boy at 4 mths 7 days was 432 grams. I use a digital weighing scale.

I agree that 195 grams for a six-month-old is extremely low!

U sure there's nothing wrong with the scale?
195g is dangerously low, I just got out my weight log, my 4chins weighed from 450-550g at the six month mark. My 550g girl, Muffin is 630g now at 1yr old.
I also use a digital gram kitchen scale.
Can u get another scale and weigh him again? If there's nothing wrong with the scale, I would take the chin to a vet visit.

Try putting a bowl or carrier on the scale and zeroing it. That will give a better reading than trying to get to chin to sit still holding him.

Here's a recent pic of him

Try putting a bowl or carrier on the scale and zeroing it. That will give a better reading than trying to get to chin to sit still holding him.

Okay, I will do this when I get home, because I had him just sitting on the scale before, and i gave him a treat to try and stay still. But he was still moving alot.

I put my scale on a shelve in my boys cage and they are curious and will go sit on the scale. :p Joey thinks it's a perch..silly guy!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

OK I tried the bowl method. He seems to be at 400 grams. Does that sound right? Maybe he is just a slightly smaller chin. He was born in March of this year. When I pick him up, I don't feel his ribs or anything, I feel his big round belly! :)

Last edited:
Yea, sounds a lot better now, he could just be a small chin, my brown velvet girl was only about 430g when I got her at 6months, weighed her last night, shes 503g at 1yrs old.

I was going to say, his photo doesn't look 195g, but larger. He'll keep growing too since he's not yet a year.

Back