Normal behavior after anesthetic?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy

<--My little soldier!
How long does a chin usually take to get over the effects of anesthetic? How long does it take for them to wake up properly?
Because my girl came home at half 5 this evening and still now, 10:25 at night she's still sleeping and lethargic. She's had dental surgery, so she wakes up to get some syringe food when its time.
But I would have thought she'd be up and wanting out by now :S

Depends on the chin. When my guy went under he was groggy all night and didn't really perk up until the next day (heck, he wasn't even able to hop straight when he came home). Surgery takes A LOT out of them, that on top of being put under probably explain the lethargy. If he's not perking up by tomorrow I'd contact the vet.

I found that chins that were put under with isoflurane came out of it better than sevoflurane, its not supposed to be that way but with the 100s of times I observed, it was the case.

As others have said, it depends on the chin & also on the anaesthetic used. Some vets in the UK use injectables and those do take quite a while to come round from.

How is Bubbles this morning?

On my receipt I have 'injection' and 'Ketaset Inj' so im guessing they injected her. She's woken up for food and tried eating a few pellets by herself and she's had some water, but still pretty sleepy but it is during the day so unsure what to think at the minute really?

Called them this morning. I was unable to call them yesterday because they were closed, but I did call emergency vet and they seemed a little concerned. Have an appointment later on today.

My chinny had surgery last Sat and again this Tuesday, both times the vet kept her overnight (they were both done around 4-5pm) and when I picked her up the next morning she was alert. It might also be pain making her not want to move?

They used two types of injectables on her, not sure which off the top of my head.

She's been to the vet and they injected her with some pain relief and gave her some emperid to go home with. She's just taken 8ml of syringe food and wanted more. She's lost 10 grams since wednesday :(
She seems alot more awake now thankfully.

Feed her as much as she wants, some chins will take 120ml a day, don't restrict feed until she is more healed and ready to be weaned.

Ive given her food till she walks away. After the vet gave her pain killers shes been running around like a lunatic. Also been chewing on some wood and syes never really been interested in it before. However after an hour of chewing it. Ive noticed the side of her mouth is damp. Does this mean she's dribbling again and the problem of her teeth hasn't been sorted by the dental surgery?

So soon after surgery it could be that all of the chewing and activity caused her gums to swell up a bit which led to drooling.

Chins can drool a few days after a filing, there is still soft tissue that has to heal that was damaged by the tooth point.

Okay so would it be best if I stopped her from chewing it so much? I bought a few months back to try and attempt her to chew. But she never ever did not like she has tonight. Also she used to chew it and then chuck the bita she pulled off it on the floor. But there's no pulled of bits :D so happy about that. I take it her change in attitude is due to no being in pain. I hope her pain injection lasts tikk tomorrow night tho.

TIME FOOD AMOUNT FIBREPLEX EMEPRID
6.30am 10-15mls
8.30am 5-10mls Half Number. 0.1mls
11.30am 10-15mls
13.30pm 5-10mls
15.30pm 5-10mls
17.30pm 5-10mls
19.30pm 5-10mls
21.30pm 5-10mls Half Number
23.30pm 5-10mls 0.1mls
2.00am 10-15mls

TOTAL= 65mls.

may not make much sense, but these are the times I'm using to give out syringe feedings. Are they spaced out well enough or too far apart? Obviously she doesn't take the exact amount of food stated here, but it'll only be a little bit less. Don't take any notice of the Fibreplex and Emeprid stuff.

Okay so now she's got chewing down to a T. She's decided that eating is just not for her anymore. At half 9 this morning she took just under 10mls. Whenever I've given her the syringe after then she's pushed it away and she's even bitten me. Bubbles has never bitten me ever in aggression before so I'm pretty confused and I don't want to force it up on her just in case it could destroy our relationship.
Is this normal? Is it how I'm doing her food? :S

Have you been offering her regular pellets/hay? Maybe she has started to nibble on that on her own and wasn't as hungry? When one of my girls was ill, she started eating on her own little by little and wouldn't take as much syringe food when it was time for her feedings.

Sorry to hear she bit you! Usually chins kinda warn you when they start pushing things away with their paws. I have one boy that when he is agitated, if I pet him and he pushes my fingers away then I had better stop because then he will nip at me as his next step. He's kinda moody sometimes lol. She may have just been a bit irritated because she didn't feel like eating anymore at that moment. Sounds like you are giving the food correctly since your records show you are getting plenty down her. I would just keep going with your feeding schedule and see how she does at the next feeding time. It could have just been her way of saying "Umm I'm full now!! No more!". When my girl was sick she usually ate between 5-10ml each time so just under 10ml for Bubbles sounds reasonable for one sitting.

The only other time when I've had a chin bite me on purpose and draw blood was when one of my boys I had just adopted was scared and stressed out. He wasn't well socialized when I got him and was easily stressed so he would bite when I handled him. He's a sweet boy now though.

Back