No more blue cloud

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bureau of Land Management shut them down. It is really difficult to get them to change their minds so don't count on Blue Cloud coming back.
why were they shut down?

and whats the argument against blue sparkle? Iv heard that some ppl dont like it for show chins, but other then that is there a real downside to using it or a downside against blue cloud?

is there a real downside to using it or a downside against blue cloud?
It comes down to personal preference. I used it when I first started breeding, here is what I didn't like about it;
  • Seems to hang around in the fur longer
  • Left a gritty yet oily? feeling on my hands, didn't like touching it at all.
  • Sparkles everywhere
  • Sparkle residue in the carpet even after professional cleaning, got fined for this as a renter.
  • Some animals just look terrible using it, not sure why.

I have a choice between Sparkle and Sweet PDZ, I still use the PDZ. Can't be sparkling at my day job and it doesn't bother me to handle the babies or adults after dusting.

It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone to try using it. You never know you may like it. :)

As far as the mine I can't say much, they have never had an MDS sheet for the blue cloud product which they would need to comply with regulations. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I just got a bag of Sweet PDZ and mixed it with Blue cloud they enjoyed taking a bath. For cleaning coats I guess it is fine.

Does anyone have a contact with blue cloud, or a status update for us ?. I finished off 15lbs of blue cloud that I purchased on eBay($15) , so I went to place another order and there was no available. I I looked around online for a decent amount to order but most of the options I looked at the shipping was more than the chilla dust was. for the time being I bought a 3 lb can of blue cloud at Petsmart ($8). Thanks :)

Oh wow, I hope this is not true. o_o
I should stock up on stuff just in case... Although we could probably find sources to purchase from online for a while.. But I do hope it is only a rumor!

I am on a waiting list with Lixit to get a ton. They have no clue when they will have any dust available. It is no rocks no dust. I have a limit supply of dust for sale.

Last edited:
Hey, guys. Have any of you been contacted by Jason Kimberling from Hess Pumice Products in Idaho? He emailed me asking if I would like to try their product which is a ground white pumice. He sent me some samples and I have been using it for about a month on a select few of my chins. So far, It seems to work as good as Blue Cloud. He has more than one grade and you can get the non-crystyline pumice which does not cause respiratory irritation. I will be emailing him in a couple of weeks to let him know how well it works, I want to check first to see what it does with an ebony coat since it really shows if the dust sticks to an eb. I do not know what they will be charging for it, but will ask when I email him. the Hess mine is huge and looks like it is there to stay for a good long while. They have a website if you want to check them out. Just google their name.

He never contacted me. IF you can find out price or any distributors that will be helpful. I am sure shipping will cost a lot.

He probably was just checking websites and no other sources. I have been using for about a month now and it works great. I just emailed him to let him know. I also asked about pricing and shipping. John Suhr plans on contacting him, too.

At some point can you start a thread about the product(s). I'd like to try the non pumice. Also, if and when the person would be putting up a webpage for future sales.

Thanks,
Alex

Hhhhhmmmmmm, I am right outside of Boise. It would be a great excuse for a Ride, but I can't justify a full days run into eastern Idaho for chilla dust. Malad, ID. Is 5 hrs (275 miles) from Boise. That'd be a 12 hour run on a good day. Maybe I'll have to contact him and see if they have any outlets here in the valley, I think I might just get lucky :)

I'd be very interested to know how well this new dust works. How long have you been using it?

Cornelia, I passed on this information to the ECBC national board. Hoping we can get something worked out! This sounds like a great alternative to the new, very high pricing on blue cloud dust. Thank you for testing it out and letting everyone know about it!

No problem, Tabatha! Maxine contacted me and I gave the information. Check out the new thread on the stuff. I will add more info as I get it.

Back