No Exotics Allowed >:-(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
Ugh, I am so frustrated. We're in the process of moving and I am having no luck finding an apartment complex that will allow chinchillas. I've kept my chins in my apartment for the last 6 years and my landlord has never had an issue. They accept caged pets no questions asked. Every new complex I call has a strict no exotics policy. Since most apartments are owned by large corporations it's nearly impossible to speak to someone high enough up who would have the power to make an exception. I always explain that they are very similar to rabbits and guinea pigs, they're caged, and not destructive but it always comes down to their label as an exotic species. How have other apartment dwellers gotten around this issue? My current apartment complex can't be the only place in this entire country that allows chinchillas. Getting rid of my pets isn't an option, but I am at a loss for what to do. I'm even being turned down by complexes who take large breed dogs. Surely they're more a liability then my 4 furballs.

:cry3::tantrum::hair:

My landlord thought they were guinea pigs at first. If they accept caged pets I would just tell them that's what they are.

Back when I was apartment searching half didn't even ask me anything beyond if I had dogs or cats. I always mentioned I had caged pets just to be on the safe side and they didn't ask anything further :/ I know how much of a headache it can be though. Good luck!

I actually JUST went through this and it was annoying as heck. No landlord would listen, one even thought they were lizards! They were fine with our rabbit but did not want to deal with anything labeled exotic.
We eventually found a place, it honestly took months. Good luck dealing with stubborn people who won't listen but I really do hope you find a place!

Don't use the word exotic, just say caged pets, and if asked say they are like guinea pigs.

Yeah the one I'm using in our house hunt is, "How do you feel about caged pets? You know, like hamsters." I'm not mentioning the species unless they ask. x,x

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think people should get having a chinchilla is okay written in the terms of their lease? Or just get a verbal okay to have a caged pet?

We had to state the types of animals in our application to our new apartment. I think it would be best to have it in writing some where so it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt, maybe. But I'm also a very paranoid person and like everything in writing.

I'd leave the word exotic out and ask about caged pets. Don't mention they have out of the cage playtime, etc. They are caged pets only.

Instead of having the exact species written, just having caged pet wrote in the lease should cover you.

If it says caged pet, but also says no exotic, it might not cover you in the long run should they find out they are exotics. However, if it says caged pets but nothing else, in the event the landlord finds out they are exotics and decides they don't want them there, you should be covered as they are a caged pet.

I don't say exotic. But when apartment managers look them up they are labeled exotic. Unfortunately they have the label even though they are not as exotic as most exotic animals. Mine were all bred in the States, and are different from their wild counterparts. Mine couldn't survive in the wild. I wish we could move away from the label with how breeding and the industry hhas changed. I'm thinking I'm going to start calling them American domestic chinchillas.

Have you guys thought about renting a house? Not sure if that's an option but worth a try. I wish there was a way around it but if you say chinchilla, it's a deal breaker. If you could get away with saying its a dwarf rabbit or gp, it might be your only chance.
Sorry, but good luck with your search.

I knew this would be a headache going in luckly the apartment I wanted ended up not caring that I had a chinchilla. If I do it again I am going to say she is a caged geinni pig. No one can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you knew you had a chinchilla :)

Its rediculous that an apartment would allow Dogs, Cats, Geinni pigs, rabbits, or hamsters but not chinchillas. Chinchillas should not be an exotic pet. They are exotic only in that they are less common not exotic like a monkey that is in a whole nother classification of animal.

I agree. They should not be so call 'exotic'. However NJ classifies them as exotics and even requires a permit to own and sell them. Personally I feel they only want the money

You guys are getting me worried with moving.

I currently rent out an apartment with 3 other people (one is my boyfriend aka "daddy"). When we first got our chinchilla, my landlord just required a written letter from a vet stating it was a healthy animal and "up to date" with his medical history. Then I just needed permission from the roommates saying they were ok with me having him.

I don't think my landlord knew anything about a chincilla but I just started it was caged animal that would be supervised at all times if we ever had him out. After all, they allow dogs/cats and I even told that there is noooo way a chinchilla could ever cause nearly as much damage as a dog or cat. So they were ok with it. I just hope we can find another apartment that is fine with a chinchilla since we're looking at moving before the end of the year.

I've never had that problem when I got my apartment. Although I don't think I referred to them as "exotic" I just mentioned they were caged pets. They had a strict "no dog" policy so I wanted to be on the safe side when I mentioned I had caged pets incase they needed to come inside the apartment for any maintenance. I would definitely just mention them as "caged pets" and only specify if they ask.

We found a company that allows domestic hamsters and gerbils. I asked about domestic American bred chinchillas and all the managers at the complex are ok with them (charging me a $200 pet deposit but whatever). The managers recommended that if we move or look elsewhere to just call them hamsters, I hate lying and don't know how I feel about that.

I'm also considering registering them as emotional support animals, similar to service animals, they are protected under certain laws and reasonable accommodations must be made by housing companies and airlines. I haven't been to a doctor regarding my panic disorder in several years, but if it would bring me peace of mind until we can afford our own place I think it would be worth looking into. Quite honestly this whole moving ordeal/job hunt has caused my condition to flare up excessively in the last few months. I think in most situations 4 ESA's would be considered excessive, but since my 2 girls were originally recommended as part of my anxiety management I'm hoping I can find a doctor who will work with me to advocate for these 4 specific animals as part of the on going management/treatment of my condition.

can you ask your current/old landlord to write a type of recommendation letter for you? Just saying that the chinchillas are a caged animal that didnt cause any problems etc etc. Thats what I would do.

My last apartment complex specifically stated no chinchillas but when I asked them to make an exception the lady said "wait a minute.... what exactly IS a chinchilla?" THey dont even know!!! they just think it's a creepy rodent who will get loose and destroy the apartment. I had to explain what they were and show a picture, and then they ok'ed it. Even then, i asked for it in writing that they were allowed for me (which they provided). you dont want to be approved by one person and then someone else try to take it back! protect yourself and get it in writing!!!

Back