New Puppy - Normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
I adopted a puppy on the 15th, from a foster home with forty dogs in it. The lady takes in pregnant dogs and puppies from Help Every Pet, which is a shelter that rescues dogs off the nearby reservation. While she does awesome for her situation, there's no way to care for that many dogs alone.

My puppy, River, is about three months old, looks like a German Shorthair Pointer mix, spayed way young (fully healed, barely noticable scar) and was just diagnosed with giardia, as well as two types of roundworm and some kind of protoza common in puppies. We don't know how long she's had these, and started medication today. She barely eats, her little belly is swollen and hot, and seems to have weird complusive behaviors. I am her second or third home, but she's very intelligent and actually calm. I am worried about her behavior though. She cries randomly, I'm assuming from the pain from worms, and will only use the bathroom inside unless she's desperate. The strangest thing, though, is sometimes when she's reaching for something, like her food bowl, she'll stop and start pushing around blankets with her nose, crying and acting like she's trying to reach something fifty feet away, rather than right in front of her on the ground. She licks a ton, it seems like to me, whether its herself, the floor, a blanket or a person. Now, I've never had a puppy myself, but she acts really weird to me. The not eating worries me, could it just be stress?

I guess my biggest concern is the giardia. I know that, depending on how long she's had it, it could be affecting her mental and physical growth. The blanket pushing and crying is odd. Thoughts?

Giardia is easily fixed with medicating. Round worms can take a few months to completely cear up. When was she last at a vet and had a fecal done? Some of her crying may be due to stomach cramps from th parasites. Is she currently being treated for them?

The licking almost sounds obsessive to me. I know sometimes dogs starting doing something to soothe and then it becomes obsessive. If she's not eating as well I'd be worried since you said her tummy was kind of swollen. Did she see a vet after you brought her home, or was the meds given to you by the rescue?

I took her right away to my vet after adopting her, he is the one who wanted to check for worms. I did get her to eat a tiny bit of a mix of baby rice, chicken and Zuke's healthy treats, but that's definitely not a diet for her. I was going to head to the locally owned pet store and get some different foods to see what I can get her to eat.

When my Dane pup was a baby, she didn't want to eat her dry dog food anymore. Even wet dog food she wouldn't eat. There was nothing wrong with her, no worms or anything, she just didn't like any of the dog food I bought. I tried the expensive brands and even the crappy cheap brands and nothing. So I started researching online and found the raw diet. I tried it and she LOVED it. And has been eating raw now for 2 years. I actually now have both my Danes on the raw diet. It might be something to think about trying.

Back