New owner - looks like eczema on the tail. Thoughts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtramontelli

Hi;
We've had our chin for about 3 weeks now and he's super active, curious, and social. Things have been going great, but tonight when taking him out for his nightly exercise we noticed a patch on the tail of pretty red, scaly skin. Additionally there is a small area of broken skin. I had noticed about a week ago that the fur in that area looked a little different, but after checking it out I couldn't identify any problems. Even tonight he is actually as active as I've ever seen him, pooping regularly, and eating/drinking like a champ. I've attached 2 photos. I'd like to know if this is something that can be treated at home or if I need to take him to the vet. Thanks.

Attachments

• ATT_1442020340279_20150911_203344.jpg
    ATT_1442020340279_20150911_203344.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 21
  • ATT_1442020340366_20150911_203324.jpg
    ATT_1442020340366_20150911_203324.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 17
It could be a fungal infection such as ringworm. It can be very hard to get rid of and you can catch it as well. I'd take him to the vet for diagnostics and go from there.

It looks like he's chewing it, which could be because he has a fungal infection as Stack mentioned. You can go to a vet or you can get some Blu-Kote and put it on the tail twice a day for 5 days. It treats ringworm and it treats small wounds. You will also need to completely strip his cage, boil and bake any wood products, wash cloth hammocks or liners in hot water and dry on high. Don't let him out for run time until it's cleared up because fungus drops spores everywhere it goes which makes it super easy for you get it. Don't lose your mind over it though. It is just ringworm and it is treatable in both him and you.

If you've got warm weather and sunshine, it's the best thing for treating the cage. Wash it down, put it in the sun to dry for a couple hours.

I would treat it first with Desenex or Tinactin powder in the dust bath. Dust bath every day for a week and then 3 times a week for 3 more weeks. That usually cures the problem.

Back