New name for the Goldbar/Recessive Whites?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Anyone who's read Mish's article in the ECBC and MCBA magazines knows that the Gold Bar's and Recessive Whites are the same genetic. So what I was wondering is... is there going to be a unified name?

Mish did some experimental breedings, I know that Paul and I talked about it for years, I'm glad they were able to do it! Even before this Jim Ritterspach looked at my RW's and said they're goldbars...

I think it would be good to consolidate a name to help avoid confusion and open up the gene pool a little more.

It would be nice if they use a totally different name by respect to both breeders.

In Europe theycall them Ivory. I find it to be a beautiful name for them and is very representative of the mutation. It would be great if they took it into consideration.

Kyle, at the shinding last year we all discussd it around the table and found that both had a stricking resemblance. It had been discussed to pair them, Mish and Paul did prove that they are of the same mutation.

Last edited:
It hasn't been printed in the MCBA mag yet although I submitted it back in late March/early April. It just came out in the ECBC mag this month.

My personal opinion is that, according to scientific tradition, the honor of naming a newly discovered object goes to the person who discovered it. The Baars had the first Goldbar that we have record of and named them such. That's not what I would have named them but it's not my right to even argue.

However, out of respect for Bob Lowe who was unaware the mutation was the same, I have decided to continue calling anything strictly from Bob Lowe's lines Lowe Recessive White, and anything out of the Baar's lines or out of a cross between the two a Goldbar.

This type of naming already has precedent in chinchilla history, what with the Broucke charcoal, Olsen charcoal, Ready charcoal etc. which were all the same mutation that just happened to appear on different ranches within a few years (and which are all now just Charcoal).

Yeah that did cross my mind after pushing post that keeping of the original names would be the most respectful thing to do. So is there any solution?....

(Light Bulb) Lowe Bar! :)

This type of naming already has precedent in chinchilla history, what with the Broucke charcoal, Olsen charcoal, Ready charcoal etc. which were all the same mutation that just happened to appear on different ranches within a few years (and which are all now just Charcoal).

"Just" charcoal?? Heretic! ;)

Oh, that's interesting. Hope to see one myself sometime, I knew there were some Recessive Whites over here but not if there were any Goldbars, but if they're actually the same mutation then essentially there are.

I think it would probably be easier to consolidate a name, or go with Goldbar since it was the first the mutation was given. With the Charcoals it was simpler, it could always simply be shortened to Charcoal.

Hmm, Recessive Gold? White Gold? (Would fit with the Blue Diamond, I guess!)

Last edited:
Interesting. Always thought they looked similar... even once commented on a photo of a RW on facebook asking if it was a goldbar (didn't know it was a RW at the time, thought they were different).

I like the name White Gold! Goes well with the nice color, I think.

I've seen the Red Obsidian up with the ebonies on the tables!

I know that I sent RW's to Denmark... last I knew he was still calling them RW's trying to work with them with a recessive project.

Back