New here - Question about chin foods

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrazier90

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I had a question about some commonly used Chinchilla foods. I am currently using Purina Rabbit Show Formula for my 4 chins since Nov 2012. It's okay, I don't have any major complaints about it other than my chins seem to be a bit on the light side, not skinny but thinner than before. I am sure that's probably not a bad thing but it is something I have noticed. Now also I know this food is not specifically made for chins as well so it makes me wonder if for long-term nutrition it is the best for them as far as vitamins and mineral amounts. I have been looking at Mazuri Chinchilla diet and I can order that directly from their website along with my mouse/rat food. Now I guess my question is, with price and everything else not being an issue, which would you choose/prefer for your chins and why?

Thanks,
Gabby

Chins,
Kiwi, Chinchin, Lilly & Michelle

Many people use the Purina rabbit feeds for their chins and are very happy with it. I myself use Nutrena rabbit feeds and have for around five years now and my chins are doing well.

Before you change feed, can I ask what type of water you use? Some people have seen a marked improvement in their chins weight and overall conditioning by changing their water. I use reverse osmosis and it has made a huge difference over using spring water in my chins.

As far as Mazuri, some people like it, some people don't. My chins had loose stools constantly when they were on it. Other people have no problem. I would just be sure to investigate other possibilities before making a food switch.

I agree about water, I switched water a few months ago and they drink much more water that before, about a 1/3 more. I feed oxbow.

I have Well water. It's nice clean/clear water but it is pretty hard with a ph of 8.2
I never thought of the water causing problems. I mist down my terrariums with RO water so I always have jugs on hand. I will def give it a try!

I feed Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula. It has made quite a difference in my chinchillas' weights and coats. By the way, Mazuri is a Purina product. I used to use the Mazuri, but switched because it is really expensive and some of my chins were having loose stools. The problems went away once I changed feeds. Those of us who are using the Purina Rabbit Chow would not be using it if it was unhealthy for them.

Is Purina rabbit complete ok to feed chinchillas? I currently feed my rabbits this food and buy a 50# bag and what I don't use I donate to a local rescue but if I could use it with my chins too I would save alot of money.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

You can find it at most places that sell bottled water, you just have to read the label. Walmart, Target and a few grocery stores around here carry it.

I'd go with RO water or other bottled water other than distilled for chins, over well water. Also, many of us use rabbit feed for our chins without any problems. I use Manna Pro Sho Formula for Rabbits.

I use a mix of oxbow and mazuri. Pure mazuri makes my chin poop too soft for my liking. The current balance seems like the perfect mix for his diet. Following the recommendations from the earlier posts, you should also weigh the chin to see if there's an increase in weight as fur coat of the chin can make it difficult to estimate the actual size of your chin.

i looked again this morning at walmart all i can find is spring or destilled water should it say reverse osmosis on the bottle

Walmart drinking water has a green cap. I feed a mixture of PRCS, Mazuri and Blue Seal Hutch. You can also use a PUR stage 3 water filter. IMO, the best feed, water, and hay is the ones your babies enjoy and will eat or drink!

Just to set things straight for the newbies who might read this, not all rabbit food is good for chinchillas. There are only a few specific brands/formulas that are ok. Below is a list of the best chinchilla feeds and the rabbit feeds that are recommended.

[FONT=&quot]Pellets[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oxbow [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mazuri http://www.mazuri.com/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tra[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dition [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]American Pet Diner (APD) . [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pen Pals Profeesional Rabbit 18% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Klein Diet and Supplement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula (PRCS) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manna Pro Show Rabbit Pellets http://www.mannapro.com/products/rabbit/select-series-feed/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nutrena Naturewise Rabbit Pellets http://www.nutrenaworld.com/[/FONT]

Back