New hedgie after a loss

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

As you know I recently lost my hedgie Quinn. I know I want another hedgehog but I don't know when the right time is. I miss Quinn so much and really miss having a pet. It is really lonely without a little hedgie around. I found one, kind of on accident, that sounds like a good little girl to have. She is a rehome. I know she will not be like Quinn, and I am looking forward to starting a new relationship with a new hedgie. But now that I am seriously thinking about it, it is so hard. How do you know when it is the right time?

The right time is when you feel it is the right time. For some it is immediately because they miss having a pet so much. For others it can takes months, years and some people never want another because they feel it hurts too much to loose one. Everyone is different.

Sounds like this little girl may be perfect timing for you. You will see reminders of Quinn in her, but she will also have her own little quirks and you will think, Quinn never did that. Go with what you feel. Quinn will approve whenever you decide the time is right.

I think that the best way to honor an animal is to take another into your home and heart.

My soulmate kitty died in July 2009 at 18, I truly had a broken heart. I immediately missed having that "cat energy" in the house. I was going to wait longer, but less than 5 months later I adopted a humane society rescue. He is definitely different than my first cat, and I still miss her but he has without a doubt helped to heal my broken heart.

It sounds like you are ready and my guess is that Quinn would wish another hedgie the awesome life he had with you. If you feel ready, I would go for it! :)

Hi I'm from the chin forum side. I just lost a chin myself. She had a head trauma and didn't make it after two days of doing everything I could for her. I was actually bonding her together with a male chin I got not too long ago before all this happened. So when I lost her, I looked at the male chin and was glad I still had him after all these. Sometimes I would still call him the wrong name and assume that he would do the things that she likes, but I know that no two chins can ever be the same and it's only been three days, but I seriously miss her very much.

Time would be the best healing medication I guess.

I hope you feel better soon! :)

Thanks for you advice and understanding. I decided to try to get her and her family chose me for her forever home. She is a little snow flake girl named Luna. I am excited but still sad. It feels kind of bittersweet. I know I will never stop missing Quinn, but I think this little girl will be a great comfort and I know it will be nice to have a hedgie around again.

Luna needed a forever home and you have just the right amount of space in your heart for her. Sounds like a good match. Welcome home Luna!

Thanks! I am getting so excited. She comes home on Friday!

ljiayi, I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard. I hope you feel better too.

Back