New chinchilla eating bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
My chin Dre who I got a few weeks ago has been eating his bedding so much that I got scared and took it all out.....He first had aspen shavings, but he was eating that so i replaced it with carefresh bedding. He ate that just as much, however, and I ended up just taking everything out and putting extra hay on the floor for now. I know this isn't good but I don't know what else to do in the meantime, I keep spending a lot of money on bedding that I can't use for this little guy! Anyone else with this issue?

Pine shavings are fine to have in the cage. If your chin chews on it, he will be fine. I personally would not sure carefresh since it has been known to cause impaction. Pine is also less expensive. Perhaps you could add more chew toys for him to play with.

There should be no problems with having either aspen or pine bedding. If he chews on it it's no different than him chewing on a wood toy.

I use pine, and have no issues. I prefer it over carefresh for the cost difference.

It's not a bad thing that he is chewing it (as long as it is aspen or pine.) It is actually good for his teeth. You end up throwing away the shavings every week anyway!

Pine or aspen is fine to chew on mine all do when I get big chunks in the shavings carefresh will cause impaction

Yea mine always eats her aspen bedding. She ate her carefresh too, which is what she was on when I first got her and why I switched to aspen. Aspen and pine are just wood and they chew on wood anyways but carefresh is processed wood pulp so it's a bit different.

Ours chew on the shavings as well (pine). Sometimes makes me wonder why we spend so much on chew toys when they find amusement in such simple things. They're spoiled though. But it doesn't hurt them and we've never had a problem with them chewing on the shavings.

Okay thank you so much everyone! I will switch back to the aspen, I'm glad too because it's so much cheaper anyway. And yeah I know what you mean, I have a ton of apple wood and other toys for him to chew on but I guess he must just find it fun to worry me lol. Thanks!!

It is natural for animals to chew on their bedding, but rare that they actually ingest it. CareFRESH is all-natural and just as unlikely to cause impaction as other beddings. It is unwise to use pine or cedar shavings as they have been known to cause respiratory infections in small animals. CareFRESH bedding is made from virgin reclaimed cellulose and is all natural, biodegradable and flushable in small quantities. The patented CareFRESH formula is free from dust and contaminants like pine or cedar oils, so it is safe for your small pet.

Back