New chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lzgn

Hello everyone, so coworker found a small chinchilla behind our bulging. She took him home to take care of him because the poor baby's tail was bleeding. The tail is fine now but unfortunately she couldn't keep the baby chinchilla due to her dogs and birds didn't welcome the new addition with open arms. I offered to take him in.
For the first few days we didn't really paid much attention to him, would take him out once a day to play because his cage is very small (12×12) He was very active once outside. I've had him for a little over a week.
Today I noticed that he's not as active as usually. I gave him a dust bath Friday and he rolled and rolled. Today however during his bath, he just rolled to one side and he stayed there, as if he was asleep, when I touched him, he moved and rolled again, but again he just laid there. When he got out he walked around, I noticed that he wasn't putting his left back paw all the way down, I wonder if he hurt his paw due to the small cage? ( is a possibility ) he lets me touch his paw and it doesn't seem to bother him.
He eats good, drinks lots of water and eats lots of hay. Poops and pees alot as well. Everything else is good, besides his lack of activity, and he wants to cuddle alot. He walks around for a bit but when he sees I'm on the floor he looks for me right away.
Also, he seems very young, don't know his age but he's defenetly a baby.
I bought him a bigger cage but thanks to the delivery delayed with amazon it won't be here until Tuesday, as for now I moved him to a big area ( non cage like) but he has lots of space to move around and safe. He sleeps alot, but it alternates. (He's sleeps then wakes up... sleeps again...)
I've never had a chinchilla before, so I welcome any advice. My kids named him Dallon.😊

Thx guys

If he will not put weight on this leg, then he most likely needs to see a vet. Chinchillas are masters at hiding pain because they are so low on the food chain. It could be broken and you wouldn't know. A hairline fracture would never show up just with observation. He had to get to that place somewhere and it may have involved falling from a height, getting stepped on, or getting squished in a door. Also because of the circumstances, it would be a good idea to find a really good chin vet and have him checked over anyway. Lethargy as well is always a concern with chins, something else to have him checked up for.

So, just an update:( I noticed that lots of people puts that's wrong with their babies but never follows with an update) no broken bones but he does has a sprained leg. Doc asked for droppings to check for any inbalance or parasites. Given that the doctor didn't even do x-rays on Dallon, I will be going to another vet instead, he didn't seem to me that he knew much about chinchillas.
He did however gave him probiotics (gel) which seemed to like.
He still not putting his leg down not walking much, which I think is a good thing given that his leg needs to rest. I removed wheel and shelves from hos cage so he won't jump.

Back