New Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrooks

Hello Everyone my name is Brandy and I just got 2 chins. I have been wanting to get one for a long time and finally my hubby told me that we could get them because now we have the time to be home with them. Now I think that something is wrong with my little one (Rascale) he is not acting like his self he does not want to come out of his cage and he wont even let me pet him. My older one (Sweet pea) is doing just fine acting like her self please help Im really worried about my little one

Thank you Brandy

How long have you had them? What food are they eating? Are they caged together? If you just got them recently he may just be scared. What do his poops look like? Are his eyes clear and dry? Signs of chinchilla illness are mostly small and that makes them hard to spot. Is he eating and drinking the normal amount? How is he when he's left alone in his cage? Is he active and bouncy or is he lethargic? Without more information it is hard to know for sure how to help.

How recently have you had them? Because if they are new, how do you know he's not acting like himself? I agree that he's probably just scared if this is his first week at your house or something. Also I am hoping they are in separate cages, you don't want babies!

I have the same questions as already asked. Also, do you have a male and female caged together? If so, expect kits.

I hope nothing is wrong with your chin as they can hide illness really well for some time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I have had them for about 2 to 3 weeks. Sometimes he is all bouncy and somedays all he does is stay in the same spot, but if i open the cage it takes him about 10 to 15 mins to come out then he is running around the house. and no his eyes are not dry. yes they are in the same cage and they have been in the same cage since he was about 3 months old. They will not stay in seperate cages they both scream and holler if they are in 2 different cages. I have 3 different cages. one is the one they stay in at night and the other 2 are open all the time for them to go in and out of when they are out and about in the house. They never have mated in the past and they act like they dont even care about that. It is so cute they use each others back as pillows.

Ok, his eyes are not dry? Is this a new condition or have they been this way since you got them? Is he eating, pooping and drinking normally? Do you have a scale to make sure their weight stays consistent? A dramatic decrease in weight can indicate health problems, even if they seem to be ok otherwise.

Also, when you let them out for playtime, are they in a chin-proofed room? Letting them run loose in your house can be very dangerous.

And even though your chins may not seem interested in mating, it is just a matter of time before they do...again and again. You really should have them separated. Pregnancies don't always go smoothly and huge complications can arise. Just something to consider.

Back