Got the FN all set up with the help of my roommate. Some of the pieces wouldn't snap together easily and we couldn't find our hammer....so we wrapped a heavy brass menorah in a blanket and used it to pound the pieces together.
Hey, gotta use what you've got! It actually worked great!
I did install the middle floor (haven't accumulated quite enough shelves and hammocks yet to make it safe without the second floor), but I opted not to use the included platforms or ramps and instead used an array of wooden shelves in various shapes and sizes (I was careful with the placement so she can't fall more than a few inches off any one shelf). The bottom and middle pans are covered in fleece. I'm very happy with it, and more importantly, Margaret loves it!
(I may have added another shelf or two after I took that picture, but you get the idea.) I've got more hammocks and shelves ordered, so I may end up removing the second floor once those arrive.
And picking Margaret up has gotten much easier! I don't use the dust bath for moving her around anymore, I just pick her up to get her between her cage and playpen (and to transfer her into her new cage today). She still doesn't love being grabbed (though I've gotten better and more comfortable capturing her), but she actually tolerates being held quite well. I wouldn't go so far as to say she likes it, but she tolerates it without protest, which is really all I can ask!