New chin mom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_found

I have two chinchillas. I was looking for some advice and stumbled upon this website. I've had my previous chin for about 2 months so she's about 5 months. I got my second one today, they aren't sure how old she is. I'm guessing based on size 8 months. My concern is that she came to me smelling like a farm I'm assuming it's just because of the environment she came to me from. I've heard if there's a smell then she's probably sick. I'm pretty sure it's just because she was from a breeding farm? I will take them to the vet soon, of course. I saw on a few posts on here that damp cloths are ok? I was advised not to do that from other forum sites. Some people say that baby wipes are fine. I have tropiclean brand wipes for cats dogs and other small animals. Non scented and hypoallergenic. What do you guys suggest or think? I feel like this is a safe place to swap and ask for information. I'm glad I stumbled across it. I did give her a dust bath. I'm not sure if she rolled in it. There was poop in the bowl. But I was giving her some space to adjust and she's white as opposed to my black girl that I could tell she'd rolled in dust. The cage was thoroughly cleaned before she got here. It did not smell, the room she's in did not smell, but as soon as I was with her I did notice that she did and she was pretty dirty. Which is why I gave her the dust bath asap. The room isn't unbearable but does have a smell to it now from her. I wouldn't say she's sick or suffering at all. I want to give her time to adjust and not grab her and force her to be cleaned but whatever is necessary and helps. :)

Their poop shouldn't stink, it should be dry and odorless. If she came from a bad breeder that didn't keep the chins properly then yes the smell could be lingering, breeding facilities should not smell bad, at most like a barn (mostly smell of hay, wood shavings, and dust).

I don't advise cleaning her with a damp cloth unless absolutely needed, like if she has caked on poop and pee on her or something that could harm her if ingested. If you use a damp cloth to try to clean her you need to make sure you fully get her dried off, using a hair drier on low or no heat and a comb to fluff the fur, if using low heat make sure you take frequent breaks so she doesn't over heat. It can take a couple hours of fluffing and blow drying, meaning holding/restraining her for a couple hours, once you think she is dry give a dust bath to make sure any dampness is gone.

Wet wipes are ok to use, and a much better idea, just give a dust bath after to absorb any lingering dampness. If it is just lingering smell from being kept in poor conditions then the smell should get better and go away with time in a clean cage and dust baths every couple days.

Their poop shouldn't stink, it should be dry and odorless. If she came from a bad breeder that didn't keep the chins properly then yes the smell could be lingering, breeding facilities should not smell bad, at most like a barn (mostly smell of hay, wood shavings, and dust).

I don't advise cleaning her with a damp cloth unless absolutely needed, like if she has caked on poop and pee on her or something that could harm her if ingested. If you use a damp cloth to try to clean her you need to make sure you fully get her dried off, using a hair drier on low or no heat and a comb to fluff the fur, if using low heat make sure you take frequent breaks so she doesn't over heat. It can take a couple hours of fluffing and blow drying, meaning holding/restraining her for a couple hours, once you think she is dry give a dust bath to make sure any dampness is gone.

Wet wipes are ok to use, and a much better idea, just give a dust bath after to absorb any lingering dampness. If it is just lingering smell from being kept in poor conditions then the smell should get better and go away with time in a clean cage and dust baths every couple days.
Thanks for replying! This was a few days ago so I did go ahead and use a few wipes on her bum. She had caked on poop but it wasn't the poop that smelled it's just her body smelling like a farm and it filled my entire room. I do feel that it got better and I did deep clean the cage again since putting her in there. She's a messy but very shy girl. I don't see any evidence of her being sick. No discharge, yucky eyes nose or ears. No itching or dry patches. She comes out at night when it's dark and quiet. I am waiting to hear back from a few vets about making appointments to get her in just to get checked out and have a relationship established for in case she is ever definitely sick. But I don't feel like she is sick. I'm giving her time to get used to the environment and maybe she'll come out of her shell. Right now she stays hiding in her hide house. I did give her a dust bath, I think my other girl is going to have to teach her how to roll in it and what to do with it once I establish a relationship with them. She sits in it but doesn't really do anything in itt. I did rub it in on her myself. She lets me handle her and pet her but I can tell that she isn't comfortable with it so I don't do it unless necessary. I'm sure she'll come around.

Back