Neutering and boytime.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bubbadoo38

After reading all the posts about males taking care of business. I realized that I nor my son who now lives in the same room as the chins, have never seen the male doing any such thing. My questions is this just possibly because he's being private about it or does neutering affect their drive to do so.

Most chins' "male time" is their cleaning of a hair ring. Some do it in private, and he could be doing it when you're not there. I don't know how neutering would or wouldn't effect this, as it's more hygiene than pleasure.

Many do it in private. I have a few males I have never seen and some that it seems to be a constant activity.....

I have 2 neutered males. Both of them were the aggressors in their relationships. (Mr. Whiskers bullied Baby, both were neutered and lived happily ever after until Baby died suddenly and unexpectedly 4 months later).

I got My Little Snuggler for Mr. Whiskers after Baby died. All was well when The Snuggler was a fuzzy baby, but when he reached adolescence, he then bullied Mr. Whiskers, so HE was neutered as well.

The two of them are currently living happily together. There has been no more dominance humping or fighting -- in fact they spend most of their time snuggled together with each other sharing recipes and baking pies!!! LOL

I hope that they, too, will live happily ever after as a couple, but you know what they say -- there will always be an emergency cage nearby just in case...

Hope this helps.

With respect to the "boy time", I think that diminishes with age, but it could be related to the fact that they are neutered.

Last edited:
Your boy may mess less with his penis because he gets few hair rings. Stolie used to get hair rings a lot so when I saw him cleaning or messing with his shaft, out he came and it was hair ring check time. Sambuca on the other hand barely ever cleans his penis, and I have yet to ever find a hair ring on him.

Just for the record neither of my boys are neutered

I think I see one of my boys cleaning themselves at least once a week. I have yet to find a hair ring on wither of them.

I think I see one of my boys cleaning themselves at least once a week. I have yet to find a hair ring on wither of them.

Same here, since my 1 yr. old boy has been doing this (where I have seen it) I have found no hair ring, and I even have taken him out after to do my own checking so that I can get closer under his fur. But with my first chin, who I did have neutered, I never saw him doing this in the 4+ years that he was with me.

Last edited:
Back