Needed to separate bonded pair- worried about Depression

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreygirl10

Hello!
My three year old bonded pair of males needs to be deprecated. The larger male named Spock has started to violently attack our other chinchilla Kirk . It was so bad that Kirk managed up escape the cage. I have no idea how. Nothing was open. I’m worried he literally shoved himself between the bars to escape.
Anyway, Kirk has always been super affectionate with his brother. I’m worried that since I need to now separate them, Kirk will be lonely and acquire depression. Should I get and introduce a new chin to him or will he be okay by himself? I really appreciate the advice.

I would just put the cages side by side so they can still see and talk to each other. If you do decide on getting another there is no guarantee they will even get along. If you want another chin and have the space for 3 cages you can try, otherwise just try to give him some extra attention and he should get use to being alone. You can also get him a chinnie buddy to cuddle with, it's a chin shaped fleece stuffed animal, or make one yourself if you are handy.

I’ll probably get him a chinnie buddy. I don’t have another cage and I can’t afford one right now. I wasn’t expecting this at all and I’m in the process of buying a house.

I think the chinnie buddy solution is the best. Who knows, your chins may be just fine with their own space.

Back