Need some good cat food brands

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sonica

Hi. I am new here. I am from Canada and was wondering what would be some of the good brands of Cat/Dog dry food I can give to my new rescued hedgie.

Thanks in Advance

Check out the sticky at the top of this set of threads. Here's a link.

Really, it comes down to what you try and the hedgie likes. Seom headgies are picky - so give them (and yourself) time to pick the right food for your new critter. Also keep in mind that you need to change over from the old food to a new one slowly. Mix the old food and the new food to start - hedgies are like little kids - you might have to introduce the new food for a few nights before they will try it! Over a few days (or even a couple weeks) put more and more of the new food in the dish and less and less of the old.
Only try to introduce one new food at a time so you can see if the new food is upsetting the hedgie's GI tract (tummy). His poop may turn green for a few days with the change in food, but it should go back to being brown.

In addition, also try to use 2-3 different foods. That way if one should become unavailable or they should change its formula, you have a food to fall back on. Thus reducing the risk of a hedgehog going on a hunger strike due to a sudden diet change.

I have 4 foods in my stable mix (Innova SR, Innova Lt, Pet Promise, & Fromm Mature Gold). To that I have additional foods that I add depending on the caloric needs of the hedgehog.

Back