Need advice on Ferret!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LannyCoop

Hello all!!

I am looking for some advice and I thought here is the best place to ask!

So I am looking for a ferret for my little cousin as she really wants one. I called the local shelter where I got my Chinchilla Kiefer 4 yrs ago! And found outo they have a poor baby girl ferret who is deaf and blind. :( and was left there.

So of course me, with my animal loving heart, is thinking of bringing her home. Here is my concerns, I have researched and heard ferrets will hunt rodents. and try to escape their cages and such in order to attack. I am wondering if anyone had experience houses ferrets and chinchilla in the same home with no problems, or anyone has ferret experience and know if with her being deaf and blind, if she will be less likely to attempt anything. Obviously Kiefer comes first but if possible I'd really love to give this girl a home..

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks so much! : )

I have had 8 ferrets incl 1 deaf one and a diff one who was blind. I wouldn't trust it at all not to attack, all of ours played normally. They were kept away from the chins in my bedroom. But we did have an escapee once who pulled a bird out of it's cage a killed it.

oh wow really, okay.. thank you! that is good to know. I am thinking its probably better to be safe then sorry, I wouldn't want anything to happen to either of them, and at least I know she is in a good, happy place, being well taken care of still.

I have 3 ferrets. They are not allowed near the chins. They are very prey driven and naturally like to chase things. As for being blind and/or deaf, she might not be able to hunt a chin but a chance encounter would be disastrous.

I have ferrets here, usually 2 or 3 at a time. They are kept upstairs in a room with the door closed and their cage has a clip lock on it. Because we take precautions, we have never had an issue. If you don't let the ferret anywhere near the chins you should be fine.

I would also feel compelled to take this guy in. Poor thing.

I had eight ferrets at one time along with 40+ chinchillas. The ferrets were never let to play in the chin room, the door was always closed tightly. As long as you take precautions and keep them separate, there's no harm in having a ferret and a chinchilla.

My ferrets weren't prey driven so much as play driven. My mom forgot to close the door to my chin room one time while she had the ferrets out. The ferrets didn't go into the chin room, but a chin escaped and got out to the ferret's play area. In a matter of seconds he was dead. Not because my ferret had a goal in mind to kill, but because they play by biting each other's necks, roughly. Chinchillas have very thin skin around their necks and very small necks, so a bite to the neck is disastrous for a chinchilla. As soon as the chin was obviously not playing my ferret backed off in confusion and didn't try to touch the chin again.

I haven't had ferrets since I transported those eight out of state, since they're illegal in California.

Oh wow okay! Unfortunately I don't like in a big enough place to keep them that seperate :( I wish I could save her but I can't risk something happening, if only I liked in a big house :( I wish haha thank you for all the advice!!! Its really appreciated!

My sister in law has 2 ferrets, and she also had 2 birds that were kept in a separate room. The ferret was out of the cage playing and it managed to get in the room with the birds and it killed one in a matter of seconds.

They're such curious little things that can fit into just about anywhere that accidents can happen easily.

Back