Narrow escape

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpysisi

So, yesterday was a mini **** for me. I woke to find a female and male looking odd, fur all round the cage... I pulled him out. Fine, looking good but then I saw her. She let me handle her, and look her over. I worked from bum up, tiny bites... Then I saw her head. He'd scalped her! And her neck had a flap of skin. I have no idea wjat happened. Hes a placid male but unproven, theyd Been settled months.
I rang the vet and got an appointment for half hour later. I normally hate this vets as not specalist but knew closer the better-and they have a new vet who is awesome.
Five stitches to her head, two to her neck. Shaved and anestetic. The vet even listened when I say no baytril but use septrim. They guessed at 40-50 bites. All random.
Today shes looking good. Her eyes and face is all wonkey but I do love all my animals, shes so worth it. Shes had critical care, probiotics in water, and septrin.
But she was also prescribed metacam.
Now I hate metacam for dogs, it has its uses yes... But for chins? Can anyone advise? I dont want her in pain but equally metacam isnt nice stuff.
Shes gobbling the critical care and even pellets so cutting down cc and watching closely if shes eating alone. Drinking and normal poos so far.
One of the hazzards of breeding. Im devasted but just to warn people, its not just cute babies. Theres vets bills before you even start! To the tune of £171. I think I got off lightly, shes still alive and will get the best Care. Its why they call it hobby breeding!
The male has a new home already lined up, on the provision he is kept alone and no chin lives with him. The lady is very experienced and I trust her to do this. I wont risk it again.
Ive spoken to other breeders about this, one told me shes had onrmale do this ever in twenty years. Shes had females (I expect females to do this so watch closely ).
I feel aweful, so any advice would be appreciated, never had anything like this happen.

I've given metacam to my chins (short term use, a week or so after surgery or an injury) and didn't notice any negative side effects. I do know they were more comfortable and even ate more on their own.

I had bad experiences of dogs and metacam. It made one incontinent and weed all the time. Im always wary of metacam. Although never used on chins before oddly. Ive been giving the metacam, and antibiotics on her water down food. She was struggling to eat solids as when they stitched her together it pulled the skin off her eyes and face. At checkup the vet put drops to check for scratches and gave eye drops, so its that that makes her sore when eating. Shes having pellets more now.
Otherwise if softened shes guzzling it all down.
The bills rising but im glad shes alive and now back to her usual self.
I have a female friend in mind for her as they both share the same docile personality, and both love company. So she will be a pet once all healed and better. :)

I would not re-home withe chinchilla. They can never be put back woth each other but that does not mean they can't get alone with other chinchillas. You would just need to keep a close eye on things with both of them.

I very much doubt he will get on with another female or male long term. I cannot risk a months of being settled and a brutal attack like that again. I wouldn't want that tendnacy or risk of genetics in my lines for breeding. I pulled another female from him when she looked de stressed. Not like a normal 'ive been chased for breeding ' type stressed.
Hes very placid with humans. So will go to a pet home. Theres pleanty of better natured males out there, its not worth the risk.

Back