Naked Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
One of my chinchilla's facebook friends (mostly other chinchillas & chin people) posted photos of what looked like a miniature hippo. A few of the pictures showed it hanging out with a chinchilla. I wondered: is this a mutant hairless chinchilla? It was, actually, a mutant hairless guinea pig. It was cute... but somehow wrong. :wacko:

Has anyone out there tried to breed a hairless chinchilla? Should someone try to breed a hairles chinchilla? Hairless dogs are always winning Ugly contests Is the world ready for another hideous mutant? :p

Maybe this should be in the debate folder.

Lu

I know from my time in the guinea pig world the hairless pigs tended to have quite a few health problems and issues that normal guinea pigs had.

So nope, I don't agree with breeding for a hairless chinchilla. It would defeat the original purpose of the chinchilla, and I don't see how it would benefit the over all animal. They'd still have the natural instinct to bathe in dust, roll in their cages...yet couldn't take a dust bath.... Would dry out the skin and cause skin issues IMO

I cant see it happening in the chin world- at least not by a responsible breeder. The gene responsible for hair is also responsible for teeth, which is why many hairless breeds of are missing some.

I know with the dogs they get acne, sunburn easliy and need to be moisturiesed. Its just seems irresponsible to breed somthing with so many health problems in my mind.

i seem to remember some scientests who altered chickens to have no feathers so that they would thrive better in tropical climates?

Skinny pigs were bred for immunological studies in labs (which is why they still carry some of those weak genes). The fact that they are available to the public seems a travesty to me.
I could not imagine a skinny chin being anything but cold and miserable.

Just EWWW, ever see a soaking wet chin? Not a pretty sight.

But think of the savings on pellets, hay, chew toys, a/c power use and dust if the chin had no fur or teeth, just breed them to not poo or pee either and you have the perfect pet.

Last edited:
Just EWWW, ever see a soaking wet chin? Not a pretty sight.

But think of the savings on pellets, hay, chew toys, a/c power use and dust if the chin had no fur or teeth, just breed them to not poo or pee either and you have the perfect pet.

They already have those, Dawn! They're called Pet Rocks!!
! Lol!

Let's not have naked chinnies....wet ones are scary, naked ones sound nightmare worthy.

wet-chinchilla-after-bath-animals-10041175-512-384.jpg

I love my chin, and would no matter what, but part of what I love about them is their beautifully soft fur. I can't imagine anyone being drawn to a hairless chin.

Back