my new baby chin doesn't like oxbow and isn't eating much

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chancesmomma

This sunday will be a week chance has been with us, and he's warmed up soooooo much he's about 6 or 7 weeks old. just spoke with the petstore, and they were giving him kaytee firti diet for chins, and i cant find it anywhere. at the moment i wont be able to go back to the store until sunday, but i do want to give him something in the meantime to perhaps mix. does anyone have any suggestions. i was told sunseed is close to the kaytee but not sure if i should go with natural blend or the other one.

Don't feed kaytee or sunseed. Those are bad brands of food. Is he losing weight or not gaining weight? He may be eating less because it is meeting more of his nutritional needs than the other crap food, or he is protesting not having bad treats mixed in with his food daily.

If you want to switch feeds, you should switch to Mazuri if you want a store bought food. There aren't a lot of chinchilla foods available at the store that are good for your chin. Your choices are really limited to Oxbow and Mazuri. If you buy from an online vendor (other chinchilla owners) you will have a wider variety of good foods to choose from like Tradition. AZchins on here sells Mazuri and can get it out to you quickly. Her website is http://www.AZchins.com

The pet store sold him to you at 5-6 weeks old? IMO that is too young to be sold. But anyway, are you offering your baby hay? Since he's not eating a lot of pellets, please make sure that he gets plenty of hay.

It's too bad the petstore was feeding him crap food, and he probably is waiting for you to feed him more junk and doesn't like the idea of having to eat a healthier food. I would stick with the oxbow, or you could try mazuri but as said, offer plenty of hay. I would have a digital scale on hand to monitor his weight to make sure he isn't continually losing weight.

Thank you!!!!!

thanks so much guys, i will look into trying mazuri out. in the meanwhile i did purchase the sunseed for him and i just pick out all the snacks leaving a couple peices of a seed that looks llike flaxseed to me, but he really enjoys them. i too thought that was a little young but they said as soon as he eats solids on his own and doesnt nurse he's good to go. i met him about 25 minutes after he was born and put a deposit on him the following week :0)....he still growing and gets bigger every week. chance is a sweety and is really opening up to us. the other day he seemed a little skittish for some reason but was fine the next day so i was happy....i am so glad this site exists cause i would be a nervous wreck... thank you so much again:thumbsup:

Attachments

• chance.jpg
    chance.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6
Back