My idea about chin blood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addictedtochins

Socially inept
I had a thought, I understand that chins don't have very much blood and it would be difficult to get donations from a live chinchilla. What if ranch chins who are killed for their pelts were able to be harvested of their blood after death? It could be added up and stored and sent frozen or chilled overnight. I don't know the details, it's not my field, but what do you think of the idea?

Morbid, but perhaps possible. You run into an additional problem however--getting the blood into the recipient. The catheter problem goes both ways.

It would not be cost effective in any way. Since the blood would have to be taken while the animal is alive and in a sterile environment you run the risk of ruining the pelt if blood gets on it or you have to make a hole in the pelt in a place that is not "scrap".

Blood is generally good for less than 45 days, you would not only have to collect and ship it, you would have to store it, and no vet is probably going to keep blood for a chin on hand because what are the chances they will use it in a 45 day period? If it's not used they toss it and take a loss. If it's not on hand it needs to be shipped and would be needed very quickly because usually you'd need it in an emergency situation.

I've never seen reports about chins "having little blood", I'd imagine they have just as much as say a rat. Also are there different blood types for chins?

I've never seen reports about chins "having little blood", I'd imagine they have just as much as say a rat. Also are there different blood types for chins?

Rats have at least 8 different blood groups, while humans (classically) have 8 as well. and I don't know that anyone has really looked at chins for blood groups. Rats have quite a bit of blood for their size, and with chinchillas having more adipose tissue, then they would probably have more blood. The older a species, the more the chances that the species has developed genetic types.

When D.J.'s surgery was discussed the vet told me that chinchillas had no detectable blood groups so there was little risk of transfusion bad reactions, I had the opportunity to have him cross matched with my existing chins to be on the safe side so they could donate without worry but she felt it would not be needed. Since he did not get the surgery I do not know if its true but this is a very chin experienced vet who has done tons of chin surgery.

Theoretically, if all chins came from a small initial group, then individual blood types could have been bred out of domesticated chins...

Our blood bank here at the vet school discussed blood donor-ing with us. Keep in mind this information applies to dogs and cats but...
Vets do not want to remove more than 10-15% of the body weight of an animal in liters. In order to get 500 mls of blood (the norm) from a dog, they require the dog to be atleast 50lbs. Cats they require 9 or 10lbs and higher (and they get significantly less blood). They usually keep less than 5 bags of blood for cats on hand. There are a lot more cats than chinchillas. Also, they require cats be sedated in order to draw the blood. The same would apply for chinchillas, and honestly who would sedate their chinchilla unless it's absolutely necessary?
While I wholeheartedly support expanding what we can do with exotics, it takes someone to get the ball rolling. Most vets aren't going to go out of their way for something they see so rarely.

Also, while I don't have anything to directly back it up - I definitely don't think it would be wise to take blood from a near dead, or recently dead animal and use that for transfusions.

Because blood must be obtained while a person ( and I'm assuming that it's the same for animals ) is alive, there is no other way to collect the blood. Basically it would cruelly inhumane, you would have to basically bleed them to death to make the process worth while, and each rancher who participated would have to have the proper set up to immediately cool the blood to temps that would prevent the cells from deteriorating. The second the body dies the blood begins to go bad.

It would not be in anyway cost effective for ranchers, which would make the blood available extremely expensive to the point very few would have the option to get it. And again the cost of getting the blood ( even if you could do it humanely) from the chin without puncturing a usable area of the pelt ( femoral or jugular would not work because you'd end up with a hole in the skirt of the pelt )

Since quite a bit of research pertaining to humans is done with rats, I'm sure there are needles small enough for a chin.
Although I'm not at all familiar with the pelting process, would a needle hole on the edge detract that much?
If we had a member [or members friends] studying hemotoligy, I'll bet a research paper on chin blood would be fascinating!
I do think it'd be cost prohibative to obtain, but chin blood does have some uses!

There are very small needles, the size of the needle is not the issue, the fact that their veins are very tiny is, and all of the ideal places to find a good one are in usable pelt areas. Before a pelt is used it must be blocked ( basically squared and stretched) if there is any hole or rip ( which should be stitched by hand after pelting if there is any ) it has the risk of tearing completely open. A chin pelt is so thin it is not like cowhide leather. Any holes or rips lower the pelt value because it makes it harder to work with for the furrier. Plus anytime you stick a needle into a living animal you have blood come back out, even in small amount. The more they squirm the more will come out, or if you don't hit the vein right on. Plus are the chins going to lay there willingly for this to happen? Chances are they would need some for of sedation, again raising the cost of process. Not to mention the difficulty, people want to be paid for their time and efforts.

Other than the rarity of a transfusion what else would chin blood be used for?

I personally have never heard of a chin dying because they did not have a transfusion. The ideal thing to do would be to know other people with chins, like Dawn said she was prepared for one of her other chins to donate if it was needed.

Last edited:
Since I have alot of experience with chins being sedated, meaning 100s of filings without one bad outcome, if D.J. had a better prognosis and if the blood was needed I had no problem with using a couple of donor chins.

I have ferrets and if one needs any blood I bring one of my bigger boys for a transfusion. I have even been called when they have a ferret in need of blood. I hate , hate doing it because both need to be sedated and they use the Carotid artery so they get shaved and need to be watched for a few hour after. I am assuming it is about the same for Chinchillas. I was told that Ferrets have the same blood type so there is no worry about reactions.

Back