My Chinchilla Kidney Major Caused a Series of Problems help!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric&meat

Hello everyone, I have two chins, but I've encountered some problems recently. and I need help. One of them is named Meaty.
meaty discovered a swollen testicle around November 2022, which felt like it was inflamed. After recovering, his weight began to drop rapidly around January/February of this year. When he saw a doctor in March, his weight had dropped to 498g.
At the time, it was preliminarily diagnosed as bloating. A stool examination found that there was no yeast in Meaty body, but there was an abnormal bacterial population, specifically streptococcus. He took stomach medicine and antibiotics for a week.

On March 27th, the bloating problem was resolved, but his weight continued to drop to 470g. According to an X-ray, Meat Meat's heart was enlarged, one kidney was atrophied, and the other was enlarged, and his liver and bladder also had issues. It was then determined that the problem with the kidneys led to other associated issues and food malabsorption, and Meat Meat began taking kidney and liver supplements.

At the April 8th follow-up appointment, his weight had dropped to 380g, and the doctor did not provide any further suggestions.

On April 13th, Meat Meat was taken to Guangzhou for medical treatment and his weight was 427g. He underwent anesthesia and had a bladder puncture, CT scan, and blood test. The ratio of phosphorus to calcium in his body was almost the same.

Currently, Meaty is undergoing maintenance treatment, and when his weight drops below 380g, he is given injections to replenish fluids. Due to the lack of relevant experience among pet doctors in China,
here is his inspection report
Appearance: yellow, clear Glucose +++ Bilirubin: Negative Ketone: Negative Urine specific gravity: Negative pH: 9 Nitrite: Negative White blood cells: + Protein: ++ urobilinogen,URO 0.2(3.5)

Here is his case and ct scan results, I hope some one can help me. Thanks

Attachments

• 肉肉-天河立德动物医院-20230429130635.pdf
    449.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 肉肉CT报告.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • WechatIMG418.pdf
    335.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WechatIMG417.pdf
    269.8 KB · Views: 0
3/19 495q

3/27 470g

4/08380g

4/13 427g Infusion 40ml

4/14 18:24 418.5g

4/15 20:11 424.5g

4/16 23:59 410.6g

4/17 19:58 429.6g

4/18 20:17 424.9g

4/19 22:55 414.9g

4/20 21:30 433.9g

4/21 21:09 420g

4/22 20:39 4239

4/23 22:37 420g

4/24 20:14 419.5g

4/25 20:30 415.5g

4/26 18:40 410 g

4/27405g Infusion 20ml

4/28 21:25 381g Infusion 20ml

4/29 380g

4/30 385g

Currently, it is still maintained at around 400g.
Okay, unfortunately I think you are doing all that you can.

His poops will tell you everything.

If they’re small and tiny there is risk of gastrointestinal (gi) stasis aka bloat again. If they’re small and crumbly he is dehydrated. You want his poops to look at least the same size as his pellets. If he is eating his hay properly they will look even bigger.

Oxbow Critical Care can help prevent bloat if he is not eating but you would need to syringe feed him. Critical Care provides the nutrients hay normal provides plus liquids (which he seems to be needing every so often). Chins usually do not like being hand fed at first so you may have to hold him and feed him at the side of his mouth, whatever he is willing to eat. There are instructions on the bag that tell you how much to make based on body weight.

Alfalfa can help sick/recovering chins get their weight back if they can eat on their own but you have to watch how much they eat since it’s considered more of a treat as adult chins. I usually give a pinch to my sick/injured chins. I’m just not sure if adding this to his diet while he is having all types of organ issues will help or worsen it.

If he continues to decline you may have to make the most difficult choice no pet owner wants to make.

I wish the best for meaty and his owner.

Okay, unfortunately I think you are doing all that you can.

His poops will tell you everything.

If they’re small and tiny there is risk of gastrointestinal (gi) stasis aka bloat again. If they’re small and crumbly he is dehydrated. You want his poops to look at least the same size as his pellets. If he is eating his hay properly they will look even bigger.

Oxbow Critical Care can help prevent bloat if he is not eating but you would need to syringe feed him. Critical Care provides the nutrients hay normal provides plus liquids (which he seems to be needing every so often). Chins usually do not like being hand fed at first so you may have to hold him and feed him at the side of his mouth, whatever he is willing to eat. There are instructions on the bag that tell you how much to make based on body weight.

Alfalfa can help sick/recovering chins get their weight back if they can eat on their own but you have to watch how much they eat since it’s considered more of a treat as adult chins. I usually give a pinch to my sick/injured chins. I’m just not sure if adding this to his diet while he is having all types of organ issues will help or worsen it.

If he continues to decline you may have to make the most difficult choice no pet owner wants to make.

I wish the best for meaty and his owner.
First of all, thank you very much for your reply and blessings. I am syringe feeding him Oxbow grass powder mixed with water, about 60ml per day. I will prepare more alfalfa as he seems to still have an appetite. Hopefully, there will be improvement in the next check-up.

First of all, thank you very much for your reply and blessings. I am syringe feeding him Oxbow grass powder mixed with water, about 60ml per day. I will prepare more alfalfa as he seems to still have an appetite. Hopefully, there will be improvement in the next check-up.
Oxbow critical care might be a good alternative to actual hay powder(if that's what you mean) considering it contains vitamins, minerals needed to help with recovery. I have never used critical care as I have never had a reason but I do always have a small supply stored for emergencies. Just an idea. I've heard it can really help!

Edit - Sorry, now I see critical care was already previously mentioned.😅🤦‍♀️

Back