My chin started to keep attacking me...:(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

My boy chin is about 1.5years old.
I've have him since he was 3month old.
We'd been good company and had any problems until recently.

He bit me seriously on the other day.
I kept him in the cage all day the next day.
Since then he was back to normal....but it was just for a while thing.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33411

Whenever I move,he ran to bit me constantly.

Before,he was even making love with my arm...
When he does that he does it all night long.

I thought he might thought I'm a female chinchilla.
I was his loved one but suddenly became hated one.
It happens in real "chinchilla" life,right??

So I thought he needed a real female chinchilla.
I got a female chinchilla about 3 weeks ago.
He ignored me the day and looked at me like
"Why!! I was the only chinchilla in this house!! Why a stranger is here!!"
But now they get along super well.
He is really nice to her.

HOWEVER he still attacks me and keep biting me whenever I move...
When he bites makes sound like "Gyun"!!
I have to were a super long skirt to protect my legs.
He doesn't care it's my legs,arms,finger or any parts he can reach.

When he bite I ignore it like nothing happened.
But nothing have changed...
I give him treats once a while and he eats fine.
He was normal past 3 days somehow
but was back to a attacker again since last night.

I want him to stop that.
Please please help me!!!
Thank you for reading.

P.S, I attached a recent pic of his bite.

Attachments

• P1000950.jpg
    P1000950.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 50
You probably should not have gotten a female. They will breed. Plus, when My females go into heat, my male seems to get more aggressive towards me, so that might make your situation worse. Of course, there are people on here who have TONS more experience than I do. I'm just giving you an example of what has happened to me in the past.

Oh no....
I didn't know that:(
I was happy when he was out.
But now I'm happy when he is in the cage...:(
Thank you for your info.
I don't know what to do...

Oh no.....
I didn't know about that..
I don't know what to do...

Is the female in with him? he could be protecting his turf now. He will get over it. Fuzzy got really mad when we had brought home a female, and after about a month, he settled down. My males and females, Never ever interact with one another, I do not breed, i take in those that need homes.

If the female is in the actual cage with him, remove her, and do not let play times occur together or you are just going to add to your issues. Hopefully your baby settles soon

Yea I may have to separate them... I feel bad though..
When I got a female,he was in his cage and she was in playpen.
(I don't use playpen for him.He play in my room freely.)
They were curious first but they seemed started to like each other.
So I put playpen right next to his cage.
After his play time, they both are kissing through the cage.
It was like "I already miss you.." thing...

When I start letting them play at the same time,
she chilled and relaxed in his cage,and they both had no problems.
And every single night they did "missing you" thing so I decided to stay together in his cage after a while.
He is very kind to her and always combing(?) her hair.

So I feel bad if I have to separate them again but I don't want to get hurt anymore...

Oh and he doesn't play in wheel anymore.
I thought he is happy to play with her so he doesn't play in it.
But it seems it's small for him now.(silent wheel 12")
It might be one of the reason for his aggression not to be able to play in it.
So I ordered metal flying saucer for him.
Oh man.... it's super expensive for me but I don't want his serious bite anymore so....:(

I'll try everything I can to him back to normal.
Because I raised him this way.
I'll try to separate them too.

Attachments

• P1000952.jpg
    P1000952.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 47
hana... because you put them together be prepared for babies. Start counting 111 days from the first time they got together, it can happen in a second even at playtime. You may want to start reading up in the Chin Breeding section of the forum.

Chinchillas don't think like people. They do like other chins company (sometimes) but they won't "make love" to your arm as a sign that they want you to buy them a female. Where did you get your chins? A lot of the times petstore chins can be aggressive because they don't really breed according to temperment. And also, from that little snapshot I can tell that you need a new cage. Your shelves and ramps are plastic, and thats not good either. And like Sandi said, you better start reading up on how to care for pregnant/baby chins because she's most likely pregnant by now.
It's very weird that your chin just started being aggressive for no reason. Are you sure you didn't accidently scare him in any way? I'm sure you wouldn't purposely scare him. But I think you should've done your research before getting another chin and just putitng them together. Make sure you have a baby safe cage aswell, because your male will backbreed with your female if they're together during the birth, and he could even possibly eat the babies. Good luck....

When I my aunt and uncle went to a chinchilla farm to pick out a chinchilla, they saw an adorable white female eating something. They went to pet it, and it bit them seriously enough to bleed. When they saw my chinchilla I have now, they said he was the calmest, most gentle, and nicest chinchilla so they got him, and he has NEVER bit me for 6 years straight even in stressful times like in the airplane, etc. He does make sounds that he's annoyed if I bother him when he's sleeping, but he nibbles and it doesn't even hurt the slightest bit. He's so gentle no matter how much you pet him, plus he's so tame that he wants you to keep petting him. It think it just depends on the chinchilla and they have to get used to you.

I don't know if anyone else saw where she said she's had him for a year and a half and this is new behavior...

I'm going to try to say this as nicely as I can but getting a female is the worst thing you could have ever done in this situation. Obviously they will breed and temperament is hereditary along with health issues. You say the new f/s was expensive but isn't buying a new chin expensive?

That cage is not baby safe and it would be best if you could take the plastic out and replace it with wood. I would seperate them immediately as said above. They don't "love" each other... they don't "miss" each other. They are not people, these are people emotions. Plus you have that you brought in a new chin and didn't quarantine. I don't know where you got the chin from but if it's sick or carrying something, your other chin is going to be sick now.

There is something that caused him to change, something in the house, you moved his cage, a room was painted, a new puppy, something. It doesn't have to be in his cage to upset him.

You need to address the issue of him being aggressive. Start with only giving treats from your hand. Do not force your hand to him, just put a pinch of oatmeal in your hand and set it inside of the cage. When it's gone, remove you hand. Continue doing this until he will climb on your hand.

Him biting you is him saying that he is the boss, he doesn't like you doing what you're doing, and he's going to do something about it. Because of this I would also trim his whiskers which should temporarily reduce his aggressiveness while you work on establishing yourself as the "treat master".

As for the female, I don't have any advice on what to do with her other than get another cage and wait 115 days for babies. Often moving a female will automatically bring her into heat.

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Hi
I got them from pet store.
I know what people here are going to say...
But here in nyc it's hard to get it from bleeder if you don't have a car.

Yes,I need to change the plastic shelves to pine wood.
I was thinking to buy a tall cage w/4 or 5 shelves.
FN looks great but expensive for me so may be getting a no name brand tall metal cage.

Somehow he is getting better now.
This is what I did.
I bought work leather gloves.
When he bit still it hurts. Just same pain..
But no cut no bleed.
Then he knew bitting is nothing.

Also I didn't let him out for days. Even when he looked ok.
After that I let him out but once he went back to his cage,that's it I closed.
He used to be out for hours.
He looked happy at least he was able to being outside.

When he was out I sat on the floor right next to cage and didn't move;)
So that he didn't need to scared of me and I could close the cage right a way.

The baby female doesn't scared of me and jumps on me now.
And he was watching it:thumbsup:

I give him treats without asking his tricks.
I think I'm a treat master now!

Today she showed me how good she runs on FS.:clap1:
Once he could do it too,he would be happier and less aggression. I hope.

This past two days he didn't bite when I moved!
I think I was hard on him when he bit me the past. Sorry my bad.

Now I'm trying to treat him like the days when he came to my place.
And now I have to wait babies?? I'll start reading posts for baby.
Thank you!

Oh I forgot to write this.
This might be the reason for his behavior.
I got new roommates.
My old roommates who were here when I got him moved out.
After a few weeks when I got new roommates I got his big bite.
So may be he doesn't like or is not used to new smells. I don't know..

Oh they don't love or miss?
Oh man, I told him"we used to be good friend. Don't you miss that?"
How silly I am:( Haha

Like everyone has said getting a female is the worst thing you could have done. Do you have a baby proof cage? Is your male pedigreed? Personality is hereditary so if he is mean so will his kits. I never pair agressive chins up. They are always pulled from my breeding lines so this doesn't happen. Is there any event that could have triggered this attitude? A cage change? A household change? Anything? I would seporate the chins immediately.

Back