My chin pulled out my hair...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvatore

The title kinda says it all. I was poking my head in the cage to move stuff around. Next thing I know she nibbles on my hair and then viciously pulls on it taking out a good chunk. Then she proceeds to eat it. It really freaking hurt and I'm a little upset. This is fairly aggressive behavior. Any thoughts or experiences? I honestly don't know how to react to it right now.

I've had them do this before. I wouldn't assign too much malicious intent to it! Chinchillas do strange things like this. I've had my hair pulled and chewed off a few times. It just taught me to always wear it pulled back around the chins. She probably just thinks your hair is something to play with and like any toy she wanted to yank it and get a little rough with it.

Just make sure she can't get a hold of it anymore! Our first chin used to yank beard hairs out of my husband's face and it really hurt. Basically he just stopped allowing the chinnie to have contact with facial hair! :) That solved the problem.

Alright then. I was sorta floored when it happened. Cause she did a similar thing when she was introduced to another chin. Long story short I'm thinking she is going to remain a solitary chin. Beard hairs? OUCH! Guess I'll be wearing my hair pulled back from now on. Thanks for the help :)

my girls do that. The nibble, chew, tear off, and try to eat everything they shouldnt. Including my hair. I just have to keep my hair away from them'

My chins 'groom' my hair. Sometimes they pull at it but when they start going after my hair I generally just slowly move my head away (slowness being key in case someone has decided I should be wearing a 'chin hat' !)

Zoidberg likes to climb into my hair during cuddle time. He usually just ends up getting himself tangled though. I've never had any of them try to nibble on it though thankfully.

Back